mudman

Rawhide Hondo's

Anyone of you rawhide gals or guys have any good pictures of rawhide hondo's that you have made in the past? I am in the market for a couple and would like to see some different styles.

Steve, the spelling I have is Ballantyne from one of Ben Crane's old tapes. Now, can we trust Ben's spelling?

A question here. I have heard of these referred to as hondas up here and hondos down in the US. Can anyone enlighten us on the history of the word and why it is different in different places? (We'll deal with mecate and McCarty another time...)

Here's on style I make. The files are too large to send together so I'll send the other style next.

rawhide_honda.JPG

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

post-1670-1219399204_thumb.jpg

Here is a folded honda before I put the burner on.

folded_honda.jpg

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

post-1670-1219399510_thumb.jpg

Question. What the heck is it for. I mean what does a Honda/Hondo do?

Tom

Tom, a Honda is what goes on the end of a reata or lariat. It is the eye the tail of the rope goes through to make a loop. These are just different variations that are removable.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Tom, a Honda is what goes on the end of a reata or lariat. It is the eye the tail of the rope goes through to make a loop. These are just different variations that are removable.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

I guess I need to redo my rope. Heres a pic of it. Boy I hate this camera. Gonna have to break down and get a decent one. Oh well, One must do what One must do.

Tom

IMG_0002.JPG

post-6291-1219433698_thumb.jpg

Hey Carr,

Nothing wrong with your rope, the hondos everyone else is talking about are, like Alan said, removable. And allow the rope to twist a bit without getting the hondo out of position. Here is an example of a very fine riata and hondo.

Rob

Hey Rob and Carr, The hondas are removable AND may or may not be set up to swivel by enlarging the hole in the middle where the rope passes through the honda. The honda on the reata made by Nate that you linked to was tied on. Nate makes and uses them both ways, tied on or with the hole in the middle. I don't think I saw a reata at Nate's but he did have quite a few that were attached with the hole in the honda but they did not swivel. I don't care for a swivel honda either UNLESS it is set fairly tight so that I have to physically turn it just to take the kinks out of a badly built loop.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Heres a fancy one I made a few years ago. I like to make them out of the best string I can and put good heavy burners in them, I will dig around for some pictures of some others, more working ones and scan them when I get more time.

spur_1_026.jpg

post-3140-1219490080_thumb.jpg