simontuntelder

Solid Brass Rivets

I'm never using jiffy rivets or double cap rivets because I can't find them in solid brass. Normally the plating wears off, and they just don't wear well. I'm hoping to find some that will tarnish nicely, just like a solid brass buckle.

So I'm looking for a supplier of solid brass jiffy or double cap rivets in all sizes (preferably in the EU or UK, but I order from the US regularly so it's not a problem). Can anyone help me out?

Are you absolutely sure that they're solid brass?

I'm asking because I've bought rivets that were "solid brass" that lost their colour completely - meaning the base metal showed.

Simon,

I myself have never purchased them from Zack White, but I believe they are a very reputable supplier. The description they give on the page reads:

Our Jeffy Rivets are made of solid brass (SB), or solid brass with a nickle plate (NSB). They come in several lengths to suit hundreds of applications for leather crafting and leather working. Jeffy Rivets also come in two different cap Styles. The Single cap style has an eyelet that is open and visible on the underside of the post. The Double Cap Style adds a finished appearance to both sides by adding a cap to match the top.

So I would take this as a "Yes" they are solid brass.

Hi Tandy have them, both solid brass and nickle plated brass. They are expensive.

Hope this helps Zoe

I get my solid brass rivets by the pound from www.rjleahy.com

Great customer service and great product.

They are located in San Francisco (USA)

I get my solid brass rivets by the pound from www.rjleahy.com

Great customer service and great product.

They are located in San Francisco (USA)

I only see some washer/burr rivets - are there some other jiffy/double cap options that I'm not seeing?

I only see some washer/burr rivets - are there some other jiffy/double cap options that I'm not seeing?

That's all they offer. Solids with washers. They cater more to industrial applications. A little bit more work, but I like them for strength.

That's all they offer. Solids with washers. They cater more to industrial applications. A little bit more work, but I like them for strength.

I already have some pounds of them lying around and I'm very pleased with them. I use them on bags and other stuff that needs to be strong and solid, but the look of it isn't clean and neat enough for many things in my opinion.

I already have some pounds of them lying around and I'm very pleased with them. I use them on bags and other stuff that needs to be strong and solid, but the look of it isn't clean and neat enough for many things in my opinion.

Will Ghormley sometimes uses them 'backwards' -- with the 'head' visible, and the ugly bit inside. He domes them too. It's on my list of 'try it and see'.

Here they are on the ends of the cartridge loops on the Hand of God rig (hope Mr Ghormley doesn't mind me using his photo):

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/publishImages/MakingHOGRig4~~element177.jpg