piddler

Great Deal, No Real Use For It Tho

I can pick this up from a guy who buys storage lockers, for a really good price. Might just get it to make a profit since with all my other stuff I'm running out of room. Whay do y'all think?

60775515-E84E-4399-86DD-A75184589D86-14675-00002133B73F1E16_zpsd7c29991.jpg

F46ABA1D-35C0-42CC-AC67-4DBCE2547141-14675-00002133E71E93B2_zpsda118a5d.jpg

67C12120-CAA2-4524-A75A-84667BAE902C-14675-00002133C92018BA_zps1657aae0.jpg

D90CE82A-597D-4752-A5D1-07C838A8E94C-14675-00002133D19ABCBF_zps768b4e4e.jpg

975A0E56-D2D2-429E-9FFE-1B93EF6D1035-14675-00002133AE23852F_zps5c596103.jpg

975A0E56-D2D2-429E-9FFE-1B93EF6D1035-14675-00002133AE23852F_zps5c596103.jpg

I guess it would depend on the "really good price". If you are into doing much work with leather, a patcher machine is a "keeper". There are some things you can sew with it that no other machine can do.

A "small arm" cylinder machine is one of the 3 sewing machines a leather shop cannot do without.

Think about it before selling it. They don't come around that often for a "really good price".

It totally depends of the price, it is a Chinese clone machine. We use it for repairs and do not need expensive versions. A shoemaker will need it, however, there is a lot of these machines available in other brands. Whats the price?

Edited by Trox

I say get it, and keep it for that price, looks like it was hardly used at all.

Yes, thats a good price, It looks like new.

I went ahead and bought it. This thing has no marks on it, its basically new. Sore need some more room in my little shop tho.

Looks good, I woulda bought it for 600.00. I couldn't go without a patcher. One of these days ill have me a new Claes but for now I have an Adler long arm and a Singer short.

If I remember correctly those Consews sell for around 12-1300 on eBay brand new so I'd say you did good.

People who don't pay their storage fees are pretty dumb. Or I should say people who don't get their good stuff out before not paying their storage fees are dumb.

Hi, what are the specs of this machine? I can find one for a good price too, but I need to know if it will sew around 10, 12 mm of veg tan leather.

Thanks!

I echo what Billymac says. You cannot do without a patcher, it does the sewing job all my other machine fails to do. I have a long 29K-72 and a short arm Adler 30.

Tor

Hi, what are the specs of this machine? I can find one for a good price too, but I need to know if it will sew around 10, 12 mm of veg tan leather.

Thanks!

Try 6 to 8 mm maximum (1/4 to 5/16 inch) and that is with no more than #92 thread (T90), or possibly even #138 for a very short distance.

Also, since the feed is via the presser foot and it has sharp teeth, you will have tooth marks on the top side. The larger the needle and thread, the higher the pressure required to hold the leather down as the needle ascends.

These machines are shoe and boot upper patchers. They are used by motorcycle people to sew patches onto club vests. They perform best when sewing into soft to medium temper leather.

Try 6 to 8 mm maximum (1/4 to 5/16 inch) and that is with no more than #92 thread (T90), or possibly even #138 for a very short distance.

Also, since the feed is via the presser foot and it has sharp teeth, you will have tooth marks on the top side. The larger the needle and thread, the higher the pressure required to hold the leather down as the needle ascends.

These machines are shoe and boot upper patchers. They are used by motorcycle people to sew patches onto club vests. They perform best when sewing into soft to medium temper leather.

Biker gear and repairs is exactly why I bought it. Sure is a weird machine to thread.

Does anyone know where to download a clear copy of the manual? When I go to consew and look at their manual it looks like a 3rd grader printed it.

These are machines that if you buy them for some other purpose than their intended purpose you will probably absolutely hate it. This seems to happen quite often actually. These machines are the "when no other machine will do it" machines. I use mine to stitch shoes and boots and other hard to reach repairs and patches on biker gear . Ill also tend to use it alot even on flat type repairs that could be done on another machine only because I can thread a patcher quicker than all of my others. If its a lot of stitches ill go for something else but for a few the patcher does fine.

I mainly use 69 thread, sometimes 92 and on occasion 138 but not often. I can sew pretty much anything I can jam under the foot although it will not feed correctly when used like that. This is normally "in a pinch" type situation. Usually thick boots around the counter where its thicker.

You can use a manual of a Singer 29k, that should be nearly identical, probably one after 29k-58 although I don't know which sub class the Consew is cloned from but they are all similar enough.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give that a try. Has anyone ever tried a presser foot with less aggressive teeth? I think I have all the machines I'm going to need now.

76D0BC11-2B53-4B16-B1C1-8B8EDDB3F5F0-15292-00002259D83DC178_zps7146fad9.jpg

A065E67D-EFBE-4B94-9DF5-6AC0F7D60B05-15292-00002259E03C169E_zpsa7f4e761.jpg

E11F6968-26E3-4336-A5A8-E393286D4E05-15292-00002259E7C1818B_zpscf7d8b8a.jpg

Yea right, that's what we all said at one point. They have a tendency to start multiplying like rabbits. You may have all you "need" but that doesn't mean you won't find yourself wanting for another:-).

The problem with less aggressive feet is that you'll run into feeding issues. It requires those feet to feed.

The last one I bought I think it was slightly polished up a bit to not be quite as sharp, it still feeds good. They really don't mark up every type of leather that bad and its usually not a problem unless you're trying to make something out of veg tan which in most cases you'd want to use another machine anyway.

I've also heard of people dipping them in that rubber stuff that's used to coat tool handles. I don't know how well it works but in theory it might but those things are usually for those that are trying to use the machine in place of your flatbed or cylinder machine which you shouldn't need to do. It won't mark up a patch or a bikers jacket much at all, same goes for most chrome tanned leathers.

Also when threading your machine its sometimes easier to just tie your new thread to the old thread and pull it right down through. You should be able to thread it in seconds really. I also buy pre wound bobbins in black white and brown, if a job has a covered bsckside like a boot I just let black or whatever is in it there. If its a visible backside then ill change the bobbin and if its any other color than white brown or black I wind my own.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give that a try. Has anyone ever tried a presser foot with less aggressive teeth? I think I have all the machines I'm going to need now.

76D0BC11-2B53-4B16-B1C1-8B8EDDB3F5F0-15292-00002259D83DC178_zps7146fad9.jpg

A065E67D-EFBE-4B94-9DF5-6AC0F7D60B05-15292-00002259E03C169E_zpsa7f4e761.jpg

E11F6968-26E3-4336-A5A8-E393286D4E05-15292-00002259E7C1818B_zpscf7d8b8a.jpg

In Australia the Claes - new with servo built into the head - sells for $10,000. Lovely machine but not $10k lovely!

Looks good, I woulda bought it for 600.00. I couldn't go without a patcher. One of these days ill have me a new Claes but for now I have an Adler long arm and a Singer short.

If I remember correctly those Consews sell for around 12-1300 on eBay brand new so I'd say you did good.

People who don't pay their storage fees are pretty dumb. Or I should say people who don't get their good stuff out before not paying their storage fees are dumb.

It looks like an updated version of a Singer 29-4 I have on it's way to me. I don't know how much I'll use it but for the price (free) I figured I shouldn't pass it up. When I pick it up I'm taking it right to Toledo Bob for a once-over and tune-up.

I've seen some demos on Youtube and it looks like something I'll have to make room for in my shop.

I'm glad I don't live in Australia!! Everything is expensive over there. The Claes machines are not cheap here either, they run between 5k and 7k depending if and what stand you get. I think that I'd just go with the head as the stands are way over priced and I have a brand new stand with servo and reducer for my Adler 30 that would work. I use a patcher quite a bit for repair work as that's half of my business so I wouldn't mind making the investment, (you have to have it to make the investment though) I have probably another 35 yrs before Ill be able to retire, I see no reason a Claes wouldn't see me through that and it would make my life easier during that time. Its just not quite high enough on my priority list right now, maybe in the next couple years.

Rayban, I have a 29-4 sitting in my window as a display. I got it for a whole 45 bucks, it needed cleaned and lubed up but it will sew. If you don't need one often it will certainly fill a void.

Go to Singerco.com and download this instruction manual http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/29K70.pdf or/and this service manual http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/29U171A_172A_173A.pdf. Both can be used on your machine. They comes in two bobbin sizes and different arm length, either a leaf spring for the foot pressure (Adler cl. 30 and older 29K) or a coil spring (like my 29K-72 has). I do not not know it that Consew has a small or a big bobbin, other than that they all are the same. You can round of your foot a bit with a fine ceramic grind stone if its too aggressive (new and sharp), if you take to much it will not feed well.

Small, very annoying bobbin, but it saved me this weekend. It seemed to be the only machine I had that could do any proper sewing. Do not ask it to sew with anything over 69 tho. If you do it gets real cranky.

You can get larger bobbin models but then you can't quite fit them in as many tight places. The small bobbin doesn't bother me since I use it for repair work it doesn't ever get used for many long runs or anything.

It really should handle 92 just fine and 138 with some trepidation. Mine don't much care for 138 but it'll do it with some coaxing sometimes. Other times it stitches with it with no problem.