I have been reading a good bit recently about the use of stiffeners in gun belts.... everything from a strip of Kydex to some sort of polyester mesh. When someone asks for an added stiffener, what do most of you use?

old bandsaw blades...lol...seriously though, i have thought alot on doing this...grind the teeth off and sew it up...

old bandsaw blades...lol...seriously though, i have thought alot on doing this...grind the teeth off and sew it up...

Lol... sure if you want to poke someones eye out when you take your belt off....boing!

Two layers of leather bonded with the grain out, and stitched, is plenty stiff for even all steel rigs.

A pharmacist friend brings me these little blue pills that can be crushed and dissolved in a bucket of water, the I soak the belts in the water. After the belt has dried just sliding it through the belt loops seems to have an effect, which is giving me fits about how to get the length and width just right every time.

Two layers of leather bonded with the grain out, and stitched, is plenty stiff for even all steel rigs.

I agree. If you use 2 pieces of 8/9 oz then add some kydex you can shoot pool with the damn thing.

Edited by triage1998

A pharmacist friend brings me these little blue pills that can be crushed and dissolved in a bucket of water, the I soak the belts in the water. After the belt has dried just sliding it through the belt loops seems to have an effect, which is giving me fits about how to get the length and width just right every time.

I literally LOL'd at this post :) Especially the part about sliding it through the loops!

I think you must be dealing with the pharmicist off or "Two and a half Men".

The pills are a great idea though. Soft and pliable when you want to stow it away and firm and stiff when you are wearing it.

Nice Lobo...just hope your dog doesnt get ahold of your belt...or if he does, time to make some chaps...

The downside to adding kydex, or pallet bands, or whatever else.....if it gets a kink in the belt, that kink is there to stay. And, for a lot of the material commonly used, a lot of flexing will make a hinge point and it'll break....you end up with a two piece stiffener. And that is about as useful as a 2 piece crank in a V6.