JinxedDream

Leather Painted Oddly?

I'm been running into an issue with purchased tack lately. The leather feels "painted," like it was done with acrylics. It feels a bit like plastic and it will not absorb oil, it just wipes off. It does not feel like my older leather tack or the custom made stuff does. Any ideas? Would a deglazer be used in this situation?

Sounds like some of my grand daughters Chineese made tacks. When I look at it it seams to be patent leather, like a film put ontop the leather and heated on so "plastic" might just be right here?

It could be made of Biothane, synthetic stuff.

Sounds like some of my grand daughters Chineese made tacks. When I look at it it seams to be patent leather, like a film put ontop the leather and heated on so "plastic" might just be right here?

Exactly. This has happened with several brands including Western Rawhide, High Horse, Big D and Billy Royal.

Oldtimer, it isn't Biothane, I'm 100% certain of that. Its marketed as 100% leather. But it doesn't feel like that. And it will not absorb oil or conditioner.

I have an Indian-made saddle, not the best quality but even the leather on that is better than what I find in tackstores now.