Wild Dog

Suggestions - Breast Collar D Attaching

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum. This place is such a wealth of knowledge, I am so glad I found it. I need some help/suggestions. I just started to tinker with leather this past year. A couple weeks ago, I decided I would attempt my first tack set for my own personal horses. I was very excited and had a design in my head... I stripped the leather out, cut out my pattern and love it. My original intention was to sew it with my machine. Long story short it is too thick for my machine after I attempted to sew it. My plan now is to hand sew it, but realize I think I made my straps that fold over the D too short. I dont plan to sell these just make for myself but, is this salvagable? I already placed the hide on and spotted it, otherwise I would just start over. I will do that if I have to but, hope some one would have a suggestion so I wouldnt have to. Any suggestions or help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks In Advance.

post-34519-0-61525800-1359820493_thumb.j

post-34519-0-81299800-1359820571_thumb.j

post-34519-0-47002600-1359820590_thumb.j

You could make a longer strap and overlay the "too short" ones. Skive/split to match the single thickness of the rest of the collar, or close to it. Skive the ends thin and conceal the top overlay joint under your square concho. Glue and sew them together. The way I see it those square conchos will help conceal the "length adjustment"

You could make a longer strap and overlay the "too short" ones. Skive/split to match the single thickness of the rest of the collar, or close to it. Skive the ends thin and conceal the top overlay joint under your square concho. Glue and sew them together. The way I see it those square conchos will help conceal the "length adjustment"

Thank you so much for the great suggestions! I really appreciate them!

It appears you will have a minimum of four stiches on each side. If you will saddle stitch with nylon thread, I would think you will be ok unless you are planning on doing some serious steer jerking. Hope this helps Terry

It appears you will have a minimum of four stiches on each side. If you will saddle stitch with nylon thread, I would think you will be ok unless you are planning on doing some serious steer jerking. Hope this helps Terry

Thanks Terry! Yes that does help! Thank you so much!!

I am getting ready to attempt my first tack set... :helpsmilie:

Questions for you: what type/weight leather did you use for this? I think I am going to make a 2 ply breast collar and wonder if it is better to two pieces that are the same weight of if you could use a heavier weight for the front and a lighter weight for the lining.

I am also going to do an overlay with spots...but probably use hair-on hide. I am assuming you just glued your overlay and then spotted. I have seen some sets that have stitched around the overlay before they added the spots. I wonder if that is necessary?

What kind of spot setter do you have? Looking to make a decision on one this week. Setting spots by hand is definitely not my thing!

Off to do some research on hardware for my new project..

Thanks

Chris

BTW...looks great your first one. LOVE the look!

Ok, first you are not in real trouble here. Someone said that they saw about 4 stitches, and the reality is that from the pictures you can get probably 6 in on each run. That by it's self should be enough, unless of course like he said you are jerking steers around.

Second, I would line this piece, and bring the lining leather all the way up to there the D starts. I would sandwich the tab inbetween the lining with barge cement both sides of the tab where it contacts the front and where the lining touches, and then stitch it in. At that point you have it secured very well. Beside, there's a lot to be said for a nice thick wide, well made Breast collar. Personally, where the piece I am making touches the horse, I have taken to using latigo in all cases, just my personal preference.

Bob