gaRYW5

Fiebings Light Blue Dye

I have problem with the light blue dye comeing out dark blue on my projects. I've thinned it to almost to 50% with same results. Do I need to prep leather with something first?

I have problem with the light blue dye comeing out dark blue on my projects. I've thinned it to almost to 50% with same results. Do I need to prep leather with something first?

I'm useing Fiebings dye and reducer.

I just got a bottle of it myself and agree it's pretty dark out of the bottle. I haven't tested it 50/50 yet. My thought is that you'll probably want to thin it even more, 25/75, and see if that looks better. Also remember that the lighter colors are more heavily effected by the color of your leather. A lighter section of leather will be easier to color match than the darker portions. I also use either denatured or isopropyl alcohol as a thinner. Fiebings reducer is basically a waste of money. All you need to reduce something is the base of the product. The oil dyes are alcohol based, so that's what I'm used to. I'm pretty sure the light blue is spirit based, so you may want to switch to mineral spirits for that one.

Another thing to watch for, I was trying to thin some Royal Blue to a lighter shade and actually ended up with grey instead of blue. It was a nice discovery for when I need a "metal" looking color, but definitely not what I want when I'm looking for blue.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

I use it 3 or 4 to one, denatured alcohol is what i use thin it with. When i mix a batch i use big syringes i get at the feed mill. I fill the syringe with 20 or 30 CC's of dye put that in a bottle and get another syringe for the alcohol and 3 or 4 times as much alcohol and gets a nice color i think.

I like that syringe trick!!! Going to have a look for some next time I am at Tractor Supply.

Thanks Dirtclod

Cheers, Toolingaround

Toolingaround, make sure to one for each color and write on the syringe what the color is. It saves some headaches.

I use it 3 or 4 to one, denatured alcohol is what i use thin it with. When i mix a batch i use big syringes i get at the feed mill. I fill the syringe with 20 or 30 CC's of dye put that in a bottle and get another syringe for the alcohol and 3 or 4 times as much alcohol and gets a nice color i think.

Dirtclod great idea do you have a problem with the mix drying out fast with the denatured alcohol?

Dirtclod great idea do you have a problem with the mix drying out fast with the denatured alcohol?

Shouldn't be a problem since that's the base of alcohol dyes.

So far their hasn't been any problems with it drying out and i have some that has been mixed up for several months. I found out about using denatured alcohol on here.

So far their hasn't been any problems with it drying out and i have some that has been mixed up for several months. I found out about using denatured alcohol on here.

Great I will give that a try

thanks Doug

My way it to use a plastic coated paper plate, I put some dye in one end and some spirit in the other and mix them with a brush somewhere in the middle. I have diluted it maybe even more than 1/10. Built it up layer by layer intil you're happy with the shade and let it dry in between so you can see the results, a hairdryer comes in handy.

I enclose a picture of some of my experiments with the dye :-) (Angelus spirit dye)

post-5624-0-34402100-1360570223_thumb.jp

Good news, I thinned it like 20-25/75-80 I think and sprayed it on came out pretty close to what I wanted. Thanks for all the advice.