Jason C

Which Osborne Awl?

Hi all,

Great forum with lots of advice.

I've been leatherworking for a short while now and have been using mostly Tandy tools. In particular, my awl is the Tandy sewing kit all with a few blades and a screw chuck. This awl works okay for sewing 6 spi, but I have started sewing at 8 and 10 spi and I personally find the holes punched by this awl too large for stitching this fine. I am looking at buying an Osborne awl haft (the No. 142) and a blade, but I am uncertain as to whether any of the blades will offer me a smaller hole for the finer stitching. The Saddler's stitching awl is available in various sizes (54-59) but these all seem to refer to the length of the blade. The same is true of the Saddler's Harness awl (No 42-52). Is there a particular blade you recommend or do I need to buy one and grind it down myself?

I am making primarily small leather goods made with vegtan and suede---folios, small bags, purses, etc.

I am also looking to buy a rivet setter and rivets. Any reason to buy the Osborn version of these over the Tandy version? They look almost identical.

Thanks for your help, Jason

You could use a sewing machine needle in your awl.

Hi Jason, I Highly recommend the Bob Douglas Awl blades!! The one you will need for anything more than 6spi is the "Slim" blade. I don't know why this thing is typing in bold underlined,,, I tried to get it off,,, but I won't go away. Ed

I also highly recommend the Bob Douglas Awl they are very sharp right out of the box you can get them from Sheridan Leather and they will fir the Osborne haft. I haven't tried the Tandy haft

Hi Jason, I Highly recommend the Bob Douglas Awl blades!! The one you will need for anything more than 6spi is the "Slim" blade. I don't know why this thing is typing in bold underlined,,, I tried to get it off,,, but I won't go away. Ed

Thanks for the suggestion. I found similar suggestions on this board and I discovered that you make awl hafts BearMan. How might I peruse your stock and possible purchase one of these from you?

Best, Jason

If you are getting Douglas awl blades for small work, tell Vandy at Sheridan Leather that you need the smaller size. Definately use the Bearman haft or the uber expensive one form Douglas. I have both and use the Bearman one more now.

Art