I was recently asked about how to do this, so instead of repeated PMs, here is a brief primer on how to do an inlay. Special thanks to Dave Cole aka DCKnives, Requiescat in pace, for his initial posting of the technique on his website.

Start with a shape and cut it out.

post-5374-0-72426100-1360711595_thumb.jp

Next, skive the flesh side to allow the inlay material to fill the cutout without creasing. If it's thick material, you can also skive the plug so there's no hard corner.

post-5374-0-81434700-1360711823_thumb.jp

Glue right to the edge of the skive, then press the inlay material in place.

post-5374-0-16139900-1360711929_thumb.jp

Now, glue in the plug and roll or tap with a mallet to get out all the air bubbles. Once that is done, flip it over and press it flat again (unless it's supposed to be raised).

post-5374-0-12753800-1360712220_thumb.jp.

This pic shows the inlayed piece right after being flipped over. But we don't like raw edges, so.....

post-5374-0-57850200-1360712268_thumb.jp

Here's some options for dealing with that unfinished edge: First is just using a modeling tool to round over the corner. Next is to actually use a beveler to bevel the edge.

post-5374-0-46917500-1360712503_thumb.jp

Of course, if you take your time and get a really good and even skive, as well as being very precise with your plug placement (mine was round and I neglected to put an index mark on it) you may be able to make a 'feather edge' that will perfectly blend to the surface of the inlay.

I hope this has been helpful, and that you can extrapolate any little changes you may need to make.

Mike

ETA:

OOPS!! I forgot to mention that after you do the inlay, you can glue/sew another piece of leather to the back of the whole thing, being careful to cover everything you cut out ( or a whole section). That will protect the inlay from being pulled loose. If the inlay is in the outer layer of something, you won't need an additional backer, as the piece behind it will serve the same purpose, i.e. a lined holster or quiver.

Thanks Mike, for all of your work on this subject.

Your timing is amazing as I have an order for 5 pieces

involving an inlay. You have brought up a couple of points

I had not considered. Amazing timming...

Thanks again for your all of your help here!

You are most welcome.

hmmm interesting.