Fatolbaldguy

When To Die. I Mean Dye

I'm pretty new at this so the question is pretty basic. I want to.make a two tone holster with white stitching. Normally i stitch then dye but if I stitch first and then dye ,won't the white thread pick up the dye? Also the two tone should be easier before assembally I would think. if i dye first how will it effect the wet molding? Thanks

The dye will not overly effect the molding, . . . just keep your fingers and thumbs away from the areas molded and/or stamped and/or carved. Messing with it while it is damp or wet is what will effect it.

If you want white stitching, . . . on a two tone holster, . . . I would first create the holster in it's final form except for dying and sewing. That means also that ALL gluing, edging, etc. is also done.

I would then dip dye the main color, . . . and air brush the second.

I'd give it 24 hours between the colors, . . . and I'd have it where it is being "assisted" in the drying process.

I'd then give it a coat of 50/50 resolene & water.

Let it dry for 36 hours.

I'd then stitch it up.

Then I'd give it another coat of resolene & water, . . . especially over the thread to protect it and keep it pretty white longer.

There are many other ways to do this holster thing we do, . . . but that is the process I would use.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thank you. Dwight that's very helpful.

One of my finish options is a two tone color. I so all of the dye work before anything else. This is how I do it for all my holsters actually. It doesn't affect the molding as Dwight mentioned and doing it ahead of time ensures all the pieces get properly covered. If you do assembly first and accidently get some cement where it shouldnt be itll resist the dye. I use Fiebings Pro Oil dye and have no problems with white stitching staying white. Any other dye I've tried bled into the stitching during wet molding, some more than others. On occasion if I'm in a hurry Ill make the entire holster and then dye it when its done but only for black holsters.

Here's a picture of a two tone finish I do, I dye the whole piece with the base color and then airbrush the darker color on, this one is more of a subtle fade, sometimes I do it more drastic.

4714D43E-6167-4B68-A1C2-F176DDA8E1AB-10019-00000C511F25BC58_zps365badbf.jpg

Edited by billymac814

Thanks!! I don't normally do holsters and belts like that so it was a fun project to work on.

Did you hand stitch or machine stitch?

Tom

Did you hand stitch or machine stitch?

Tom

That is machine stitched