I dunno how much bragging to do on this but I'm pleased with it regardless. ;)

I learned a few things - most notably be a little over on all measurements. I had this measured to meet along the bottom of the butt - it ended up actually on the sides. But it actually looks alright that way. I'm not sure if it was shrinkage or what since I had checked the fit before I tooled on it. I used the actual rifle butt cap plus some cork I cut to shape as a mold and wet molded the cap. Unfortunately i was unable to get the top and bottom radiuses to mold properly. I ended up cutting them and using a leather "patch" to close it at top and botton.

I did measure the cartridge loops accurately which pleased me no end and it ensured the bullets are held tightly.

I had created a previous version that was just a "saddle". It slipped after a while from the taper of the rifle butt. This one came about from a couple of conversation about the cowboy shooting "purists" sticking their nose up at recoil pads, and another on using tacks and rivets looking "tacky".

So - I wanted to make one with a "cap" to keep the sleeve in place and I used rivets to hold things in place. I made it a little deeper so it would hold a piece of gel as a recoil pad.

Comments and critique appreciated!

From left to right: butt cap, recoil pad, sleeve, cartridge strip

i-cK4VjcS-L.jpg

The finished product. I could use suggestions on a tidier and better looking way to tie the lacing.

i-2wqK52F-L.jpg

Love it - Looks really 'vintage'. What gun is it? Winchester, Marlin? Or am i way out?

Thanks - it's a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum.

I love what you have done. I am wanting to do much the same for my 3006. Please give details. Where you took measurements? ext::

I love what you have done. I am wanting to do much the same for my 3006. Please give details. Where you took measurements? ext::

I used a piece of paper to create the sleeve because the curvature of the butt gives the front and back a gentle arc I taped the paper on the butt and used a wood block to hold the pencil to draw the botton edges (kept it at a constant height) and then tried to draw the front line best as I could using marker points based on the rear. The rear was easy because it had a hard edge - I just creased it with my finger. I then added 1/8" all the way around to compensate for the leather thickness which is somewhere near 8 oz.

The end cap was molded on my actual butt capp which I unscrewed and I added two cork spacers that I cut using the butt cap - I did this to get the additional depth for the gel pad.

The bullets I used a scrap piece of leather and actually sewed two bullet loops with bullets in them to make sure the rounded bulge was accounted for. I then cut the thread and measured the distance between holes. In the case of my .44 it came to 9/16" spacing on the sleeve and 1 1/8" on the loop strap. So I measured them off using a scratch awl to mark the stich lines. I then tooled the leather and when completed used the 6 prong stiching chisel to poke holes in the sleeve and cartrdge loop strap.

Hope that helped.

Edited by BubbaJon

Thanks for the information. This is going to be a gift for my Son also. I am going to give it a go.

Some great work. My only suggestions would be aesthetic: try not to let the border lines over run; align the line of cartridge loops parallel to either the comb or the bottom of the stock; round the ends of the cartridge loop strip.

This is my next project as soon as my home is back in order, remodel-boooooo. Saving this link for inspiration for later. Thanks

Some great work. My only suggestions would be aesthetic: try not to let the border lines over run; align the line of cartridge loops parallel to either the comb or the bottom of the stock; round the ends of the cartridge loop strip.

Thanks - I could not get that dang strip to burnish on the one end so I didn't bother on the other. I guess because the leather was both thin and was limp because of the tooling.

Good eye on the loop alignment - I actually decided not to follow the comb and now wish I had.

I agree on the groove. I did it on purpose as a "fence" for the eyelets and afterwards didn't like it. Chalk 'em up to learning!