Csr111

New Machine > What Do I Need > What Is The Best Setup?

Hey Everyone -

So I'm buying a used Juki LU - 563, my first industrial machine, so I'm going to need to buy everything else besides the machine itself.

I will be making wallets like those in the pictures below, which will consist of a several layers of thinned leather and lining. I've been using an old singer that I've made work (not very well) for my needs, but I'm not happy with the quilty of the work, which is why I am switching to the proper machine.

I'd greatly appreciate anyones input on what you think I should buy and would be the best for my needs: table, motor, needles, thread (if i need different size thread on top vs bottom), sewing guide for straight stitching, etc... Also let me know where I can buy thinks that you recommend.

Also please include any other tips / advice because I really want to make sure i do this right the first time.

Thanks!

Casey

post-32167-0-92347700-1362601691_thumb.j

post-32167-0-37310300-1362601735_thumb.j

post-32167-0-22067500-1362601832_thumb.p

Nice work on your wallets. I cannot help you much on the Juki, if I remember correctly the accessories are expensive.

Wiz will probably have some answers for you.

ferg

The LU-563 goes back to the mid-1980s. It has a double capacity hook and bobbins and compound feed, with a reverse lever. I had one in my previous life and found it adequate for wallets, vests and belt edges.

Are you just buying the head, or is it complete, on a table? If it's just the head, you are in for some sticker shock as you gear up to use it.

Here is what you need to use this machine:

1. Machine head, with proper hinges for table mounts
  2. Steel legs table, with proper cutout and rubber mounts for machine base, plus, holes for a flex light, motor, fold back peg, a belt slot, and a parts drawer
  3. Motor and switch box, with power cables and cable clamps..
  4. V-belt of proper length to go from motor pulley to machine flywheel and be within adjuster range on motor.
  5. Bobbin winder assembly
  6. Thread stand assembly
  7. Oil pan to fit machine and table cutout
  8. Knee lever assembly for this type of machine
  9. Flex lamp

If all of the above come with your Juki and you are buying it for no more than about $500 to $600, you are doing okay. Otherwise, expect to pay $250 to $400 more to get the table, motor and other aforementioned parts needed to finish it off.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Thanks, Wiz - I have no idea what specifically to buy or where to buy it. Would you be able to help give me some more detailed info? I am only purchasing the machine head, so i'll need everything else. Ideally i'll want to run at a slower spead (servo motor). I figured I would have to drop some $$$ to get it setup the right way. I really apprecaite the guidence.

Thanks,

Casey

My advice to you is to buy a complete walking foot machine, already equipped with a good servo motor, setup and tested on leather.

Casey,

We need to know where you are located to give you advice on dealers. At the top of the page, you will find several machine dealers that can set your machine up for leather. Hopefully, you haven't bought just the head. Call Steve at Cobra or Bob at Toledo or Ron if you are in Canada, and see what they can provide. They can each provide a setup for leather. Don't try to shop it for price, they will put it all together for you and it will work from the start.

Art

Unfortunately I don't have the budget to purchase like you recommend WIZ, but thanks for taking the time to help out.

Art - I am located in Richmond VA. I've not found many dealers, even in the DC area which was suprising to me. Let me know if you have any info that would be helpful.

Casey

Buying a machine without all the stuff on the list is like buying a car without tires, wheels and a battery. You just can't use it without the complete pakage.

I once saw a walking foot head on eBay, where the seller had mounted a home sewing machine motor and small ribbed belt to the back and used it to drive the machine, via a foot speed control. The machine itself sat in a custom made box. This was an example of a 60 pound portable walking foot machine. Maybe you can build a box to hold it and mount a 1.5 amp motor to the back to drive it?

If you are a good scrounger you might build a table, put a screweye in the ceiling above the machine instead of a thread stand. you will need a bobbin winder (less than $10 new). We run a singer 331k1 with a 1.5 amp motor like Wiz said but its's on a quilting machine not much punching power.and it's pretty fast. thread is about $18 for a 1 lb cone you really need 2 , 1 for the machine 1 for the bobbin winder. Running the bobbin winder with a motor on the machine will be another problem. You may find a used clutch motor that someone else has taken off and put on a servo motor not the best choice but it will work ok and might be a lot cheaper.

I have seen 240V domestic motors rated to 250W but not sure what life expectancy would be like.

These are ok for some things but probably wishing a bit to sew anything hard. At the moment I am building a Singer 19-10 feed up the arm zig-zag machine to sew stubby holders and the supercharged domestic motor will work well.