JinxedDream

Hole Punch Sets?

I'm looking for a decent set of hole punches, in the most common sizes. I have a cheaper rotatory punch from Tandy but it is not doing the job.

Any suggestions? I'm making tack so the leather is usually 8oz or more.

Watching with interest... My rotary punch tool is blunting already, after hardly any use!

I use either round drive punches or single tube frame punches. On the rotary punches you will see that the tube will enter the leather at a slight angle, and the thicker the leather the more the angle. Some of them will tend to roll out as you squeeze and make things worse. The single tube frame punches (aka squeeze punches, spring punches, handle punches, plier punches, etc) have a wider gap usually and will enter the leather a lot more squarely. The punch tubes themselves can also be replaced. The round drive punches work well too, and you aren't limited by the reach of the frame or rotary punch.

I use either round drive punches or single tube frame punches. On the rotary punches you will see that the tube will enter the leather at a slight angle, and the thicker the leather the more the angle. Some of them will tend to roll out as you squeeze and make things worse. The single tube frame punches (aka squeeze punches, spring punches, handle punches, plier punches, etc) have a wider gap usually and will enter the leather a lot more squarely. The punch tubes themselves can also be replaced. The round drive punches work well too, and you aren't limited by the reach of the frame or rotary punch.

Thank you. Where can I find the single or tube punches? Does osborne have some?

Thank you. Where can I find the single or tube punches? Does osborne have some?

I bet Bruce has some for sale and they'll actually cut when you get them! Last few bag punches I got from Osborne needed a LOT of work before they'd cut anything.

Jeremy

Edited by J Hayes

Jeremy,

I do have quite a few round drive punches - mostly in the middle sizes. As it turns out, my shop helper cleaned up several single tube frame punches today and they were waiting for me when I got in. They have sharpened new tubes in them, punched off about 20 holes each, and are fresh on my website tonight on the concho, slot, and hole punch page.

Thanks,

Bruce

Weaver.Lifetime warranty..Hard to beat

Thanks, everyone! Bruce, I might be in touch at some point, lovely tools you have there!

i think i bought a complete set of hole punches from my local hardware store for around $20.

ive had them for about 3 years, and they work fine.