Csr111

Servo Motor Installation

I might have come across a good deal on a used machine, but it has a clutch motor installed. How difficult would it be to install a servo motor? Would I simpley be able to bolt it on, use the current belt, and go?

I might have come across a good deal on a used machine, but it has a clutch motor installed. How difficult would it be to install a servo motor? Would I simpley be able to bolt it on, use the current belt, and go?

Likely yes, especially if the motor pulley is the same size. Bolt pattern for mounting to the table is fairly standard. If the pulley is smaller, and there isn't enough adjustment available, you might need a shorter belt.

Tom

If the clutch motor bolts on with 3 bolts it should bolt right on. some clutch motors had 4 bolts then you will need to redrill holes. As far as useing the same belt there are too many combinations to tell without seeing it, but belts are less than $10 for most setups I have done.

Four things affect the length of the drive belt, when changing motors, or motor types.

1. Pulley diameter
  2. Pulley width inside
  3. Belt width
  4. Motor shaft horizontal position under table, in relation to original.

A standard sewing machine setup uses a system 3L belt and pulleys. The top is 3/8 inches across, and the inside tapers inward. If the new motor has the same pulley diameter and 3L width, and if the shaft occupies the same horizontal position under the table, the original belt will fit. But, if the new motor has a smaller profile and its shaft is closer to the body, you may lose 1 inch of adjustment. If the motor pulley is also an inch smaller than the original, you lost another inch of belt.