RavenAus

Bernina Record 830

Hi, just been given this 'old faithful' Bernina Record 830 by a friend who's moving overseas. It's an old school machine and as far as I know works perfectly, it was serviced before he got it.

So, what's the best way to use this machine for sewing leather? I'm guessing only garment/upholstery chrometan (which he also gave me a few bagfulls of) and don't even consider veg unless very thin? I'm not all that familiar with sewing machines at all, though I have used domestic machines in the past. There's a pack of leather needles and a skein of heavyweight thread suitable for leather (according to his sewing teacher) but I'm not at all sure on the best setup to use.

post-32405-0-29812300-1362906695_thumb.j

At best you can use 40 ticket - #69 - thread through garment leather. This is a great machine but not for sewing leather.

Oh I know it's not an actual leather machine, but it was free which, since I'm off work with a bad back, is the only price I can afford :) I just want to get the best I can out of it

Almost any home sewing machine can be modified to sew about 8-9 ounces of leather by changing to a roller-equipped presser foot and threading it with #69 bonded thread. Use a #18 leather point needle, maximum, and increase the top pressure until the leather stops lifting with the ascending needle. The upper tension will need to be increased to pull the knots up.

Sew slowly into veg-tan leather. Pre-lubricated bonded nylon thread is your friend in such situations.

Have some appropriate tools on hand to re-position the needle bar or reset the timing, when they go out from the pounding and tugging.

Edited by Wizcrafts

8-9oz? Anything that heavy I'll saddle stitch :) I mainly want this for the lighter garment/upholstery chrometan which are such a pain to sew by hand, for me at least!

8-9oz? Anything that heavy I'll saddle stitch :) I mainly want this for the lighter garment/upholstery chrometan which are such a pain to sew by hand, for me at least!

Get a Bernina roller foot and some #69 bonded nylon thread. Or, try a Bernina Teflon foot. Either foot is better than the standard steel feet.