wijjit

Barry King Tools

This is for all of you Barry King tool fans. I am a little upset with you. Ya keep telling me how much better they are than craftools. Finally bit the bullet and bought 6 of them. Used them on a project this weekend. About all I can say about them ..... Hey these things are KEWL!!!!! Love the angle of the bevelers and how smooth they work, nice impression on the others too. Not ready to give up my 130+ craftools, most that I have had so long they all have names. The reason I am upset? Cuz Y'all have really messed up my budget, now I gotta buy more tools. :-)

Oh wijjit, join the crazy crazy world of leatherwork!!!! I got BK tools on my shopping list too now, dunno whether to be happy or cry LOL

Yeah i got the same problem used my first pro tools this weekend. I really like the barry king. But the hackbarth tool i used was very well made and worked great too.

No matter how much you try to explain to someone that they are nicer/better/smother until someone uses them there is just no way to convince them. I hav ehad so many peope tell me they just did not believe there could really be a big differance from such a small little tool.

I hate ya Matt ;)

No matter how much you try to explain to someone that they are nicer/better/smother until someone uses them there is just no way to convince them. I hav ehad so many peope tell me they just did not believe there could really be a big differance from such a small little tool.

Yeah, I held off for far too long "getting by". Now I can do so much more detail in less time. It's amazing what they'll do. Granted, I do still pull out some of the other tools here and there as needed, but the old bevelers that match my BK sizes are mostly just smooth matters now. Actually, I need to round out my beveling set before I use up the rest of my tax refunds.

For someone that has only 6 Tandy tools (the basic starter pack) and a basketweave tool (I think the one I bought as too small)...what would you recommend as good BK tools to buy?

I have only played with the tools from Tandy and honestly gave up. But I would LOVE to learn how to tool and don't mind investing in a couple good tools to start with in order to try it.

For someone that has only 6 Tandy tools (the basic starter pack) and a basketweave tool (I think the one I bought as too small)...what would you recommend as good BK tools to buy?

I have only played with the tools from Tandy and honestly gave up. But I would LOVE to learn how to tool and don't mind investing in a couple good tools to start with in order to try it.

Depending on what kind of tooling you want to do, I would say a good start would be either smooth or checkered bevelers in the 00 and 1 sizes. 00 is really small and a GREAT asset for detailed tooling. The 1 is about the size of your craftool beveler. I also got the #2, which is a little bit bigger than the 1. Barry's tools are designed for Sheridan work which requires a lot of really close lines and tight spaces. I haven't tried any of this other styles of tools, but I plan on grabbing a few of the other varieties as I need them. I should add that ALL of my preferred bevelers are smooth, but that's just my preference. I'm actually trying to break out of that, but for the most part smooth beveling is what I'm after. It's really your preference though.

Oh yeah, I also have one of his swivel knives, and I bought an additional angled blade to fit one of my tandy swivel barrels. I use the 3/8" blades with a 1/2" barrel, which is "close" to the tandy sizes. They seem to fit me quite well and I don't experience any discomfort.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

As to the very first tools I agree bevelers are first. I would go with smooth, at least 3 sizes. Leaf liners are center shader next.

If you can not tool now, you still will not be able to, but once you start to learn it will make your life easier.

Got my first "Tandy" kit in 1962, lot more stuff in it than you get now. And better quality. I have no idea of how many projects I have done with the Tandy tools in 50 years. So I know they work. :thumbsup: It is rather impressive that a little tool can make that much difference. BK tools I got were 00, 1, 3 in the smooth bevelers and the same in checkered bevelers, and 1 basket stamp. Think maybe a couple of thumprints and leaf liners are next, see what sales do in the next month. There goes the profit. :bawling:

:devil: If what you want to do is Sheridan style Chan Geer has a book that costs about $30 and is very worth it. It shows exactly what tools he uses in a picture but does not list brands. Which is good it lets you shop around for what you can afford. The book walks you through different flowers and leaves. It has lots of pictures and does an awesome job. I started with a Tandy kit back in the seventys when I was to young to really enjoy it. Tandy opened up a new store in ND about 4 years ago and I started up again and loaded up on tools when they went on sale. My fatherinlaw gave me his vintage tools from Tandy and they are probally a lot better then what you got in your kit. Buy the book before you buy the tools my work is way the :censored2: better using my new Tandy pro Sheridan stainless, Hackbarth, Barry King and Hide Crafter Sheridan series stamps. I purchased a nice inexpensive Barry KIng swivel knife and blade and that was an improvement. I think they're around $55 doesn't sound inexpensive but is cheaper then most high end swivel knives. I'm in no way an expert but do know the Chan Geer book really helped his DVDs really helps see a lot of little things that might take years to learn or never learn at all. I laugh when I say it but good tools are almost a replacement for talent. I've wondered how many people that would have been leather crafters quite because of the loss of quality in Tandy stamps over the years. It almost seems like Tandys lowered standards have made a lot of other companys a good living and lowered there sales because people gave up do to poor quality. That's what I know.