First time i have tried making a bag...very happy with the result!

Satchel 01

Satchel 02

Satchel 03

Satchel 04

Satchel 05

some dodgy stitching, but its 100% handstitched, with no glue used.

The design evolved as i went along, and because its my own design, i was learning all the time. Hence the odd strap holding the buckle. A solution to a problem i had not considered when starting out.

On the whole, i am happy for a first attempt, obviously lots of places for improvement...and i need to figure out edge finishing on chrome tan, as i have never used this kind of leather before.

Love to hear your comments

adam

Edited by lightningad

I've just completed my 2nd 'large', bag. Yours looks much more complex and neat, though :thumbsup:

Fortunately (for me), I like the simple, rustic, antique look, so my simplistic style suits!

I like the satchel - Fairly traditional satchel looks. I'm not keen on the colour, but that's subjective and personal.

One thing I am gradually learning, is that planning is everything... So much easier to make something if you've done a 'dry run', made templates, pre-measured, etc.

Good make ;)

The prototype is always a learning experiance. The next one will go a lot faster and come out better. Execellent job on the first one.

thanks.

My wife spotted the leather whilst rummaging through an offcuts pile at a suppliers exclaiming "...that would be good for a satchel" so a project was born!

I made card templates for the main parts and stapled it up to check sizes...the main issues i had were that i chose to reposition the pockets once they had been constructed, so all other ideas about buckles needed to be adapted.

And having never stitched around a gusset like this before, i was careful to leave enough overlap incase i had miscalculated the length needed, and because i had attached the pockets and strap hangers to the gusset first, this meant i needed to measure an equal overlap on each end, then stitch the gusset outward from the centre point of the bottom edge! Fortunately it worked!

totally agree wiijjit - its the experimenting that makes it fun!

Edited by lightningad

totally agree wiijjit - its the experimenting that makes it fun!

And makes many hours disappear as if by magic :D

Big smug grin time! Just been asked to make two identical satchels for a pair of twins! How cool...

I love it and the color.....Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl

I think you did a great job! Normally I wouldn't have liked that color because I am a neutral kind of girl, but for some reason since you chose the white thread it makes it really cute, almost trendy yet primitive. It looks very functional also.

Thanks Renee, Much as i like really bright things, i probably would not have picked red myself. It was my wife who pulled it out of the pile saying it would be ideal...And i think shes right!

I think i might see if i can find some of that braided thread for the next ones, as the linen thread did seem to fray a bit after it had been through so many holes!

Hmmmm first times a charm!

All that hand stitching! JEEEEEZZZZZEEEEE not me pal! that is all you! lol

Awesome and incredible job for no glue or machines! I AM IMPRESSED!

Thanks Chancey - appreciate that! weirdly, i actually got to quite enjoy the stitching!

Big smug grin time! Just been asked to make two identical satchels for a pair of twins! How cool...

Good work fella! You'll be the next next kitchen satchel company like the girl on the google chrome ad...lol! Nice going Adam

You should try the tiger thread, I think there has been a few threads about it on here, I bought some recently from Ian Atkinson at Leodis in shorter lengths, a little bit more expensive but then I don't have the huge reels from Abbey sitting around.

you read my mind Paul - i was intending to do just as you suggest and get some shorter reels from Ian.

How have you found it to work with?

I think the google ad failed a little - my friend mentioned it when she placed the order for the satchels - said mine reminded her of the imitation leather satchels she'd seen on googles ad !! I think it was the gaudy colours made her think they were plastic.

you read my mind Paul - i was intending to do just as you suggest and get some shorter reels from Ian.

How have you found it to work with?

Good, I've used it in the past on the huge reels but space is becoming a problem in my workshop so got some shorter lengths in instead, mine came in snapbags off ian, no reels, just measured off & kinda hand folded but ok to work with, I don't need huge lengths of the stuff so just cut off what I need & back in the bag to keep it clean....doh! Forgot about that satchel where I'm going to need big lengths lol!