wlg190861

Cb4500 Sewing Thickness

Yes I want to buy a cb4500. I was wondering if this machine will sew 2 layers of 2OZ as well as sewing horse harness. I know its a awkward question but, I guess U will never know if you don't ask. :cowboy: never had a sewing machine befor, so any an all help would be amazing

Thank you

Edited by wlg190861

The answer is yes but not well. For two 2oz layers you would use maybe 69 thread at the heaviest the machine is designed to sew with much heavier thread and you will have a hard time adjusting the tension down to accomodatenthatbsize of thread. Even if you do, the large feed dog and presser foot can make mince meat out of the thin leather. What I've found on my short but expensive journey is that one machine does not do it all. You need at least two, maybe more machines to handle that range of work.

Andrew

Agreed. Most leather shops that are serious about staying in business will end up with a minimum of three machines....a heavy stitcher, a light/medium stitcher and a patcher...or perhaps a post machine.

The initial expense of additional machines is quickly recovered in time saved from switching one machine back and forth and having to readjust the tensions.

It will stitch well away from the edge nicely but if you try and sew 3/16-1/4" along the edge the leather will get pushed down through the hole in the plate.

There is a narrow slotted plate for this purpose but you can't use the feed dog.

Agreed. Most leather shops that are serious about staying in business will end up with a minimum of three machines....a heavy stitcher, a light/medium stitcher and a patcher...or perhaps a post machine.

The initial expense of additional machines is quickly recovered in time saved from switching one machine back and forth and having to readjust the tensions.

thank you that makes alot of sence

The norm on this site is to tell everyone to buy a Juki 441 style machine but I disagree.

At an absolute minimum a serious leather shop should have:

• A Juki 441 style machine for heavy work
  • A Pfaff 335/ Seiko LSC machine for light/medium work
  • Consew 206 flat bed for light work
  • Singer 29 Patcher for shoe repair and all the "crap" jobs that come in

A 45k25 or even 17-8 machine fitted with a roller foot is also a boon for decorative stitching work.

If you want to do commercial work then you need to e prepared for everything that comes along. The above four machines give you a huge range of options.

That's almost exactly what I have:

Short arm 441 clone

Pfaff 335 (got for a good price because a factory closed down)

2 consew 206 ( got one for free. Some guy on craigslist was just giving it away)

441 clones are nice but they're not good on lighter weight stuff.

Andrew