shannon porter

Nakajima Timing Issue

If my thread pulls right out, does that mean my bobbin tension isn't tight enough?

I assume you are pulling on the bottom thread and it pulls out easily.

That would mean that the top tension needs to be increased to pull the bottom thread halfway up into the leather. The "knot" should be half way through the leather.

Generally leave the bobbin tension alone. There are numerous threads here about adjusting tension, and if needed, how to adjust the bobbin tension. Do a search for these threads. You can pick up a lot of good info.

Most sewing machine manuals (even domestic home machines) show what a lock-stitch is supposed to look like and how to adjust the tension.

Make sure the top thread is threaded correctly for your machine. It seems to be a very common problem when people get a new machine, especially if they have little machine experience.

Tom

Thanks Tom! I'll look for threads on thread tension. Lol I have regular machine exp but not this kind so I'll search around.

Loose thread and easy to remove knots are also caused by using a needle that is larger than called for.

For instance, if you are sewing with #138 bonded thread, a #22 or #23 needle is usually the best choice. A #22 produces a smaller hole and tighter knots. But, if you ran out of #22 and 23 needles and had to use a #24 or #25, the hole would be way too big and the knots would pull out a lot easier than if the smaller needle was used.

If the thread/needle sizes are already correct, then the top or bottom tension is wrong. Look to see where the knots are sitting. Ideally, they are buried well inside the leather. If the knots are visible on the bottom, reduce the bobbin tension a little. If this helps, increase the top tension to raise the knots into the center of the material. If the knots are closer to the top, reduce the top tension, or increase the bobbin tension.

My needles are 21 & the top doesn't seem to be connecting with the bottom so I'll try tightening the top when I have a min. I tightened the bobbin then the bobbin thread broke so I loosened it back up a bit so I think it must be the top.

MUCH THANKS to the creator of this forum! It's amazing how many resources their are for newbies to a craft. A reg sewing machine seems much easier to time but I'm sure I'll get to be a pro on thin with practice.

Shannon

Edited by shannon porter

Is the scarf in the needle facing to the right? Is the needle all the way up inside the needle bar? Is it threaded correctly on top, with the thread well inside the upper butterfly tension disks?

Well, I guess I'll check when I get off work! I wish I could check now, I'm too excited to get going!

THANKS!

Edited by shannon porter

Occasionally I find that with vibration the screw that holds the tension assembly on place can loosen up over time. Make sure that you actually have tension on the top when the foot is down. Nine times out of ten what appears to be a major problem is only a minor adjustment issue.

I just found out that my tension spring is broken off. Anyone know if its a simple changeout or if I need a service tech to do it? It's the lower of the 2 springs.

Thanks, Shannon

I just found out that my tension spring is broken off. Anyone know if its a simple changeout or if I need a service tech to do it? It's the lower of the 2 springs.

Thanks, Shannon

Sounds like you are referring to the check spring that oscillates on the disk below the main tensioners. You might want to take the machine to a dealer for replacement and adjustment of the new spring.