EmbossingDieCompany

Where Can I Find Templates?

I'm looking for a source (preferably free) for templates for various items such as iPad cases, portfolios (that hold legal pads), phone cases, wallets, etc.

I'm not looking for patterns (ie. flowers, celtic designs, skulls, etc) but rather the outlines for cutting the leather parts.

I would prefer if the templates were actual line drawings (ideally in a vector format) rather than hand drawn ones.

I've searched this section of the Forum for it, but haven't been able to find anything. Generally, when someone asks for a pattern for a wallet or phone case, people tend to either post a photo of a finished product, a written description (ie. "just cut a 4"x 3" rectangle and sew it") or a hand drawn template.

Instead of creating my own templates from scratch, I'm wondering if there is a source for quality templates that someone has already made and tested.

I would like electronic versions rather than an actual book where I would have to scan in a paper version. Tandy has good paper templates that are included in their kits, but again, I had to scan them into my computer.

There are free templates out there, but you will have to hunt for them. There is no centeral repository of the free templates out there. No one has taken the time to do that. Things that don't change very often, bags, hats, and the like are the easiest to find free templates for. Electronics are updated constently so by the time a free template is released, they are usually a couple generations old already. Wallets are a special case. Wallet interiors are complex. Even with a solid template, the instructions needed for a beginner would be a book. So people don't generally do them. Besides, wallets also seem to be one of those things that once people figure out their way of doing them, they don't like to give out the secret.

Best suggestion I can give you is start at www.leathercraftlibrary.com. Not free, but a great starting point. Then get really good a Google, and start building up a collection. This is an old skill. You still have to learn a lot the old way. The net can only take you so far.

You mentioned, free, templates but take the time to look at template sets offered by; www.blackriverlaser.com Not expensive, fast shipping, great folks, and specials on eBay, if you care to go that route.

God Bless.

Ray

www.blackriverlaser.com is a great place for templates, been dealing with them for a while and never had any trouble.