Hi guys i need some help with dyeing

i am using the tandy eco flow dyes just like there vidios i am appling it using a sponge but when i try to apply the top coat using the eco flow low sheen it seem to almost wash the dye away it takes out a lot of the colour. could this be the leather or is it the dyes or just the way i am doing it ???

Cheers Mat

It's the dyes, Mat, one of the major drawbacks of water-based dyes is that they are very unstable until sealed. You also lose color when applying antique or stain. One thing that might help is applying more coats of color to make it darker than you want it to end up. Another thing that might help is if you can spray on the 'shene or other sealer. Another choice is to use spirit-based dyes (Fiebings or Angelus) that are more stable during applications of stain or finish.

thanks kate i have done some reading here seems other members have had simmlar problems and looks like spirit-based dyes are the way to go

I do lots of antique restoration, and my cabinet is filled with Feibings Pro Oil Dyes. They are a lot more expensive, but they penetrate really well, are permanent, and easy to apply. I may be wrong, but it seems like spirit dye lays on top of the leather and wears off, water base just doesn't get it for me. I guess the oil base dye is not popular because of its expense, but if it works, that's what I'm after. I have trouble with the water base antiquing formulas, too. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I may be wrong, but it seems like spirit dye lays on top of the leather and wears off,

Fiebings pro dye is spirit dye with some oil in it, other spirit dyes require a coat of oil (ex. pure neatsfoot oil) after dyeing to rejuvenate the leather again, that's the difference. Both penetrate the leather just the same :thumbsup:

Watherbased "dyes" is like taking some hobby paints and adding water to a slushy mix...Enough said.

looks like i need to go shopping again :thumbsup:

Tina i have also read that its a good idear when using the spirit dyes to put a coat of neatsfoot oil before dyeing and then let it sit for about 12-24 hrs. is this a good idear ??

Edited by mato

looks like i need to go shopping again :thumbsup:

Tina i have also read that its a good idear when using the spirit dyes to put a coat of neatsfoot oil before dyeing and then let it sit for about 12-24 hrs. is this a good idear ??

I know some people does just that but, I don't want my stuff going dark on me so I only use the oil after dying. I just very lightly dash a few sprayes from the water spraybottle before dying, it helps to even the dye out and somewhat prevents it from spreadding outside the area I want to dye. Spirit dyes are hard to use but the benefits in the vivid beautiful colors moore than make up for it. Good Luck :-)