Don't have any Neatsfoot oil yet, can I use Mink oil instead on my veg tanned leather?

If you already have the mink oil it will do fine on most of your work. We use mostly 100% pure neatsfoot, and extra virgin olive oil in the shop, but also use lexol, Montana Pitch Blend oil (which contains mink oil) and others from time to time to get the desired effect on our leather. When you have more than one type of oil take a scrap of leather and apply the different oils to small areas and compare the different color tones that result. Most people have a favorite oil but many will keep several types on hand for different looks. At one time or another folks have used just about all types of animal and veg. oils on leather. I hope this is of some help to you..

Jeff

I've been told that while mink oil makes your leather soft and water proof I've been told that it makes your leather brittle? Is that true?

If you already have the mink oil it will do fine on most of your work. We use mostly 100% pure neatsfoot, and extra virgin olive oil in the shop, but also use lexol, Montana Pitch Blend oil (which contains mink oil) and others from time to time to get the desired effect on our leather. When you have more than one type of oil take a scrap of leather and apply the different oils to small areas and compare the different color tones that result. Most people have a favorite oil but many will keep several types on hand for different looks. At one time or another folks have used just about all types of animal and veg. oils on leather. I hope this is of some help to you..

Jeff

extra virgin olive oil ???

i have never heard of that one is it any good

Edited by mato

Vikti: Using mink oil will not make leather any softer than most other oils, nor will it make leather brittle, or water proof. Most waterproofing is done by sealing the surface of leather for example waxes will make leather more water proof.

Jeff

Mato,

Olive oil has been used on leather for a long time, it yields a rich color when applied to new leather. Some old timers even used unsalted butter on their saddles.

Jeff

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll go with the Olive oil for now.

Olive oil works just fine. Olive oil doesn't turn the leather quite as dark as neatsfoot and won't stain clothing like neatsfoot can in certain circumstances.

I just ordered a new saddle and the maker said that he uses straight Murphy's Oil Soap for wood on some of his saddles he works on. He says that it'll darken the leather more than neatsfoot.