Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Barto

Maul From Acetyl Plastic

I was thinking about making a maul myself. I bought the acetyl plastic rod for the head and some wooden handles online. The store I bought the plastic told me that it is easy to cut even with a handsaw, but I now know differently. So, I have a rod of acetyl plastic 2.5" diameter and about 10" long. I'm curious if anyone has made a maul out of only this material, turning the rod on a lathe to make a handle but keeping the entire maul one solid piece. I'm thinking it may weaken it, causing the head to break off, but I may give it a try in the next few days. Anyone try this yet?

A one piece one might work. Like you said try and find out. As far as cutting a piece off i would think a parting tool ( that may be the wrong name for it anyway what you use to cut a piece when the lathe is turning would work. )

You could probably design it so that it WOULD break, but a simple tapered transition should handle all the stress you'd ever put on it.

And if you're swinging hard enough to break a 1 inch thick acetal rod ( presuming your handle thickness), you're probably going to drive the tool through the leather and fracture your carving block. It's very tough stuff...

Thank you guys very much for your input. I was thinking this type of plastic should be tough enough to handle it, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to do something that someone had already tested. I'll post an update when I get around to turning the handle on it.