Hey everyone! I have really enjoyed reading this forum lately. Judging by the posts I've read, you all really know what you are talking about and can definitely help me answer this question.

I just started making my first belt today. My friend asked me to make on for him. I cut it from an 8-9 oz. double shoulder and am pleased with the strip that I cut. I am just not sure how long the strip should be. My friend has a 29 inch waist. Is there a special method used to size belts? Can anyone help me? Thanks so much.

Adam.

Well, the best method is to have your friend measure his waist instead of going off of pant size. Pant sizes aren't uniform and are never represented in actual inches. But, if you MUST go off of pant size, I find that adding 4" will give you close to their waist size. So, I wear a 38 pant, and my waist size is just under 42". I like to add 10" to that measurement to account for the buckle flap and the adjustment at the billet end. There will be a little left over once you get it sized perfectly. Just get your buckle end all sorted out, install the buckle temporarily (or just set it in place), measure from where the buckle tongue hits the bar out to your waist measurement - this will be your center hole for adjustment. I like to add 4 or 5 holes past that since a lot of people gain weight and it makes for a better looking strap in my opinion. Either way, figure out how much extra you want to leave for growth, then trim off whatever excess is there after that. I can probably find some pictures somewhere to show it better than I can explain it, but that should get you started in the right direction.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

If he is close get a belt that he wears with the buckle he wants to use and go from there. Measure from the buckle plate or bar where the belt folds back to the the hole he uses and make it your center hole. On little kids belt I make it the last hole or next to last hole so they won't out grow it as fast. Another thing I have done is get a 1" belt strip from Tandy with a cheap buckle and then mark it on the inside when I measure grand kids,nieces, and nephews. That way I have a measurement for a birthday present etc later on. I usually put 5 or 6 holes about 1 inch apart starting about 3 to 4 inches from the end. Hope this helps. Oh yeah don't go by his jeans size it is not accurate.

David

If you can understand what I was trying to say this PDF will help. Its more accurate than trying to use waist size or pants size. Includes layout for billet and chape.

FYI Billet is the name for the buckle end and Chape is the name for the other end. :)

Belt specs.pdf

Edited by mlapaglia

FYI Billet is the name for the buckle end and Chape is the name for the other end. :)

That's a GREAT little visual aid for people!!

I never did learn those terms very well.

Thanks.

To be clear, the EASTERDAY BELT pictures are not mine. They are from a belt done by a young lady on this board whose name escapes me at the moment.

That spec sheet will help a lot of people out.

You got those terms backwards, Billet is the end with the holes and Chape is the buckle end. I use the billet term but I prefer to call the buckle end "the buckle end" otherwise no one that's buying a belt from me would know what I'm talking about, they figure can figure out the Billet end since that's the only end left:-)

If you can understand what I was trying to say this PDF will help. Its more accurate than trying to use waist size or pants size. Includes layout for billet and chape.

Belt specs.pdf

You got those terms backwards, Billet is the end with the holes and Chape is the buckle end. I use the billet term but I prefer to call the buckle end "the buckle end" otherwise no one that's buying a belt from me would know what I'm talking about, they figure can figure out the Billet end since that's the only end left:-)

You are correct. I have it right in the PDF just had my hat on backwards when I typed it in the post :)

Thanks