Pennypower

Ideas For Working In A Small Space!

Hi ya'll. I'm doing my leather work in my apartment, on my coffee table, which is killing my back. I don't have a garage or an outdoor work area. I'm trying to get some kind of work bench that will fit into my apartment, but I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for comfortable work areas? How have you done it in the past, on a tight budget, and with limited space?

I work in my bedroom & for small stuff I just put a piece of board ontop of a chest of drawers, with approriate cutting mat etc on top, then when I finished put it away again, or I sometimes just use a board on my lap while sitting on the edge of my bed.

Off the top of my head you could build a bench with 2x4 legs that fold up. Drill a hold in the skirt of your bench and run a bolt through both of them then you could fold the legs up sorta. It needs a little more though but that should give you some ideal's on where to start. I started in one side of a 10 by 12 out building so i understand getting creative on what to build and where to put things.

I think my husband is going to build me a workbench! He's measuring spots in our living room right now :-) I'll look into making one that folds up. It's going to go somewhere in our tiny living room but it's worth it :-D

Electrathon, thanks for the link! That website is a goldmine.

Electrathon, thanks for the link! That website is a goldmine.

I got a little creative. I am using a end table on a set of bed risers and a drummers throne to sit on. All this tucked into a corner in my living room

Get one of these from Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203083493?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=workbench&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=203083493#.UVwbEjerT2o. I started out with one, now have three. (Sorry for the long link)

Take a look at the folding tables at Sams Club. I used two of the 6' tables for a long time. Placed 1/2" plywood on top of table to make more rigid and used shellac to finish. Looked good and worked out okay. They also come in folding size of 4'.

God Bless.

Ray

I love that Home Depot bench!!! In the meantime while I'm waiting for my hubby to build me a workbench, I brought home a folding table from church. It works! I can't stand up at it, I have to sit, but it's soooooo much better than what I had.

I used to work in a one room apartment too, I started with a desk and then eventually built a huge workbench with overhead shelf that I attached a light to since I couldn't add lighting. I'd recommend making on high enough that you can stand and get a stool so you have the option of standing or sitting.