cloverpatch

Rivet Strengths

I would appreciate views on whether the various rivets sold by Tandy have different strength qualities? ie Steel Double Capped vs Solid Brass Double Capped vs Rapid Rivets. And what is the Tubular Rivet? It doesn't seem to have a rear half to close it to.

Any input would be very helpful.

All of the rivets you have mentioned will hold together. What you might used depends on the project you are working on and the tools or setters at your disposal.

What are you making that requires riveting?

The two piece rivets are great and easy to use for most light to medium projects - the double cap ones are just for a more finished look from either side of the item.

Tubular rivets are best set with a press of some kind (either hand or foot) as they require being 'forced' through the leather and then hitting a 'splash anivil' that splits and turns back the tube end of the rivet into the underside of the leather. They have to be sized (length) to be just slightly longer than the thickness of the leather to be riveted.

For larger projects requiring maximum strength, I would normally make use of solid copper rivets.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

JJ

Thanks JJ. I was mainly thinking of riveting, but not sewing as well, the pieces of a guitar strap and am concerned about the weight of a solid body electric dependent upon two rivets.

Thanks JJ. I was mainly thinking of riveting, but not sewing as well, the pieces of a guitar strap and am concerned about the weight of a solid body electric dependent upon two rivets.

If I was making it I would sew it. If I was being lazy I would use a tubular rivits or chicago screws. I won't use jiffy rivity on anything. Copper rivits can turn the leather (or your skin green). A lot of stress for just a couple rivits to hold though.

Does anyone have information to share about the difference between steel and solid brass rivets? Durability of finishes etc?