ArtifactBags

Consew 206 Rb Keeps Popping The Clutch

I have a 206 RB that keeps popping its clutch when I sew through heavier material (like webbing, folded over canvas hems, etc). I've had this reliable machine for several years and just started acting up recently.

I've inspected the hook and keep everything clean and oiled. I'm using a new bobbin case. The timing is good and the machine produces a tight, consistent stitch. It reverses well. The wheel turns smooth with no friction or drag. Everything appears OK except when I get into something heavier.

Any advise or suggestions? Thanks!

---Chris

Could it be that the spring tension of the safety clutch loosened? That might explain why the clutch disengages on heavier material (when the needle meets more resistance). Might be worth checking out.

Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks. I will check that out too.

I have the instruction and parts manual for the 206, but I would love a service manual. Does anyone have a link?

---Chris

There is a video for a clutch on a Singer 111W155. Yours may be somewhat similar. It is in post #90 in this thread http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=43582&st=90. It has some good info for those that really want or have to delve into the insides.

You may find the whole thread interesting too.

Tom

Andrew,

You were correct about the spring tension in the safety clutch. Thank you so much for steering me in the right direction.

I never realized the RB-1 has a tensioning spring under the steel ball in the clutch because you have to slip the clutch (moving the steel ball) to see the screw down in there. Also, I discovered only the manual for the 206 RB / RB-1 discusses "adjustment of spring tension of safety clutch". The more recent manuals I had been referencing do not.

Northmount,

Thanks for the link to the thread discussing safety clutches. Although the Singer 111 class clutch is considerably different from Consew 206, I also use 111's and found the video to be very informative.

Now I can put this 206 back in production!

---Chris