Tiara

Acrylic Paint Base And Automotive Powder?

I've used lumiere craft powders and the acrylic base for it with good results for opaque, translucent and pearlescent effects. The powders are mica and the acrylic base doesn't need heat treating for leather but is recommended for use on fabric. Generally ironing the fabric from the back after allowing several days to dry and off gas.

Has anyone tried using auto paint powders in an acrylic base? The color range is broader and the powders I've priced are significantly cheaper. Some should do fine they are also mica. I'm wondering about some of those used for powder coating. I did find an article on research being done to adapt some powder coating to use on damp leather via electro static spray and heating at 200 C for 20 minutes and considered that powder coatings will be feasible for leather once some details are worked out.

200 C for 20 minutes sounds like your leather will be a shriveled up blob. Leather gets hard with heat, and the longer it is heated and higher temperature, it loses its moisture and oils. Try an experiment, just put a piece of leather scrap in the oven and see what happens!

Tom

Put the leather in an oven you won't use for your next family meal. It kinda stinks up the place.

As above, heat makes the leather shrivel and get very hard and ugly.

White Doeskin turns a yellow shade of beige after 3 minutes in a 150 degree/65 degrees centigrade oven.

ferg

oops quoted the article incorrectly the heat was lower. Here's the link. http://www.leathermag.com/features/featurefeasibility-of-using-powder-coating

but that isn't the main question I was asking. I was wondering if anyone had used the pigments in a regular acyrlic base instead of mica craft powders. I haven't ironed any of the leather I've used the lumiere acrylic paints on but I have used an iron on low heat on some snake skin that had wrinkles. worked fine and the skin didn't get overly hard. the heat treatment on fabric appears to set in the threads for washing but isn't required on leather. forget the heat treating part, I'm curious about how the pigments might work in a clear acrylic paint base. The color range is great and if the coverage is similar to the powder lumiere pigments it will be much cheaper. far more special effects such as color shifting. Might be cool to have a motorcycle seat in the same colors as the bike and helmet.