I'm in the process of building a new workbench and just have the top to find and put on. I have some 1/4" rubber stall matting and was considering using it between the bench frame and top to help with any vibration and noise reduction while tooling. Has anyone done this before or maybe done something similar?

When I built my work bench I just built it really strong and heavy and I have no problems with vibration or anything. I do use a heavy piece of rubber about 1/2" thick in between my granite and the bench. My only regret is not recessing the granite into the bench somewhere and having it flush with the top.

I don't think it would hurt anything to put rubber in between the top and the frame but I think you'd be fine without it too if the bench is good and solid.

Thanks guys! I just found the top for the workbench last night and it's alot nicer and heavier than I expected so doubt I will put the rubber between the frame and top. I do use a piece of it under my marble though and will continue to do that. And my work space is an extra bedroom/office so it's carpeted. I'm really excited to finish this project and get back to work.

I do have a rubber pad on one of my benches and it is a great work surface. It is a pad cut from printers mat as used on press. Not something found around every corner but is very strong and dye wipes off with a bit of acetone. Easy to maintain. Does work well under pounding block as well.

Hope you find that your idea works for you.

Ray

So the workbench is now done! It's super solid so I chose not to buffer the counter top. Along the top of the 2x6 backsplash will drilled 1/2" holes to accomodate for more tools as well.

post-39211-0-55265000-1366304214_thumb.j

nice bench! wish mine was that nice... i just use my kitchen table... lol.

Edited by almac

That is a sweet bench man. I'm a bit envious of the size. If I can figure out how to post pics I'll include some pictures of my recently finished bench.

Nice bench! Might try to copy that one. But I'd really like to hear about that sewing machine!!!!

That's an old Pfaff 30 I bought a few years back to sew lite weight leathers with. It helped get me started in this whole journey but I quickly figured out it's not really meant for leather. Now it's just sitting on the floor and has been replaced with a beautiful Cobra Class 4 machine.

Edited by horseplay

Beautiful bench, really nice. Too bad you're using the Pfaff as a door stop though. These old machines do well with light weight leathers, and make nice wallet interiors and such. Cheryl

I edited this to say I'm getting a consew walking foot :) I figured out that they won't handle every job too.

Edited by DoubleC

Thanks all! The Pfaff will get used again I'm sure but I need a new table for it and I'm running out of room. My hubby told me to sell it but there's no way. It's really nice and works like a charm. Right now all my work has been in heavier leathers. :)