sfmiaw

Needle Pressor Feet

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is a needle pressor foot available that is "stubby" or "short" (for walking foot machines), by which I mean that you can see the needle as it is puncturing the leather? I am having a hard time determining whether or not i need to make another stitch, or a half stitch at the point of my straps and it is very inconvenient to lift the feet to check on the needle position in the leather. I would rather buy one than try to saw my current needle foot in half.

Thanks,

Frank

Problem with cutting the feet short is, will the leather still be pulled through under the feet.

If your needle foot doesn't have a slot in it, very carefully file a small "V" notch directly in front alignment with the needle and exactly in the center "Left to Right"

on the top of the needle foot. If your foot is black the file will show a bright line. If the foot is already bright metal, using a permanent marker with a fine point, make a thin line inside the little groove you made with the file.

BTW: Use a three cornered file and don't do the filing while the foot is on the machine.

ferg

One of the many presser foot sets I bought along the way has a split inside foot, where there is a saw cut from the front to the round needle hole. This allows you to see the stitch line.

You can just buy another standard foot set and grind off the section in front of the hole. Leave just enough material in front to hold down the leather, then cut a slot in the front center as Ferg described. Then grind off the right toe and shorten the left toe. Round the fronts of the inside and outside feet.

I also bought a set that is meant for use with edge folders. The inside foot is stubby and very wide. The outer foot is left toe only and shorter than standard.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Problem with cutting the feet short is, will the leather still be pulled through under the feet.

If your needle foot doesn't have a slot in it, very carefully file a small "V" notch directly in front alignment with the needle and exactly in the center "Left to Right"

on the top of the needle foot. If your foot is black the file will show a bright line. If the foot is already bright metal, using a permanent marker with a fine point, make a thin line inside the little groove you made with the file.

BTW: Use a three cornered file and don't do the filing while the foot is on the machine.

ferg

Thanks for responding Ferg,

I considered filing a notch, but my estimations on where the needle punches the hole is still off. I'm sure with enough practice this will be a non-issue, but until then, I hate it when I ruin a perfectly good strap due solely to this issue. I think a cut-off needle foot would still move the material since the strap pieces have already been glued together, and the pressor foot is still there (smoothed with JB Weld so it doesn't mark the leather). I was just hoping that there was a commercial remedy available since my only metal cutting tool is a dremel.

One of the many presser foot sets I bought along the way has a split inside foot, where there is a saw cut from the front to the round needle hole. This allows you to see the stitch line.

You can just buy another standard foot set and grind off the section in front of the hole. Leave just enough material in front to hold down the leather, then cut a slot in the front center as Ferg described. Then grind off the right toe and shorten the left toe. Round the fronts of the inside and outside feet.

I also bought a set that is meant for use with edge folders. The inside foot is stubby and very wide. The outer foot is left toe only and shorter than standard.

Thanks for replying Wiz,

Can you post a pic of the feet that you mentioned?

I will probably end up experimenting by grinding/cutting a spare needle foot. I'll let you all know how it goes. I imagine that my uses differ from most of the other members of this board, but it's always good to share.

Edited by sfmiaw

I assure you, other folks have the same problem including me. My old eyes are a little tired and I need brilliant light to see what I am doing. I become frustrated when I think I am at exactly the right spot. Practice has a lot to do with it. I try to train myself with odd ball methods to accomplish things like this. The marks are the most positive so far. BTW: You could certainly make the notches with the Dremel. If the notch across the top of the foot doesn't help you, try making a little groove on the side of the foot.

ferg