After 4 months (45 hours total) and 1900+ stitches (ouch, my hands hurt at times), I have finished my renaissance faire-style boots. Any and all feedback is welcome. I can post more pics if anyone wants to see any of the details. For those that are interested, the directions (and excellent guidance) came from http://www.seamlyne.com/design/costume/footwear/footwear_index.asp.

936685 10201116532544620 1821747605 N

Bean Meaning to make a pair of these for ages. Analyzing photos of them from lots of the best akers, and even have an old pair that a friend of mine's kid grew out of for reference. The tutorial in the link blows all that away. Can't wait to get started on a pair and perhaps add them to my line of products!

Beautiful job on the boots by the way. I have to ask: What possessed you to make them entirely out of veg-tan? My hat is off to you for doing so, but wouldn't they be ore comortable, and much easier to ake out of a nice moc weight chrome tan?

Please post more pics. I would love to see more construction details.

Oh yes, where did you get those buttons?

I think they came out really nice! I would also like to see more pics when ever you get a chance. I actually planned on going to Oregon this summer to take a class on how to make these boots, but my kid's HS graduation falls during that same week. It would have been a nice trip too :( I do not fly and planned on driving from DE to OR lol. However, you have me tempted to try them on my own after seeing what a great job you did.

I think they came out really nice! I would also like to see more pics when ever you get a chance. I actually planned on going to Oregon this summer to take a class on how to make these boots,

See above for link to more photos of the process. I can take more detailed photos soon and upload them.

I had no idea classes were offered in this. Please post a link or details on this class.

Beautiful job on the boots by the way. I have to ask: What possessed you to make them entirely out of veg-tan? My hat is off to you for doing so, but wouldn't they be ore comortable, and much easier to ake out of a nice moc weight chrome tan?

Please post more pics. I would love to see more construction details.

Oh yes, where did you get those buttons?

Construction photos are on my flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ed-davison/sets/72157633316920193/

As to the veg-tan leather? What made you correctly conclude veg tan? That they stand up by themselves? Well, the reason is pretty simple. Beginner with little experience. The directions call for leather and I had a budget and what I could afford and thought I needed was veg tan. I would actually love to do these again when I have more capital for a personal project with oil-tan buffalo. I found some sweet leather that would be great. I have never worked with chrome tan but is that the stuff that is normally considered for this sort of work?

As to comfort, they would most likely be much more comfortable with oil-tan or possibly chrome tan (no experience with this at all) but the more I wear them the more comfortable they get. The veg-tan will last well and the break-in period should be endurable. I will have to let you know as time goes on how the break-in turns out.

The buttons are from conchos.com and they have great customer service (and currently have free shipping promotion going on).

Awesome! I want to learn to make something like that. More simple, but nice renaissance boots, nonetheless.