Invasion

Joseph Dixon Saddlers Clamp

Yes, It was just under $50.00 CDN. I ordered thread and some pricking irons at the same time.

I found Abbey very good to deal with and their customer service was excellent.

Good to know, thanks!

Mine was too long for me, also. To solve this issue, I measured from the ground to the height that suited me, disassembled the clam and cut each of the wooden jaws off at the bottom at the appropriate spot.

The jaws are rather tight so I just loosened off the bolt at the bottom as much as I could. I have developed a way of spreading the jaws with one hand, from the inside of the clam.

Bob

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing myself; bout chopping the end off it. I will get out in workshop tomorrow, and measure up ;) I am a little disappointed on how hard it is to get work into jaws of clam...ill guess ill work it out in the end ;)

thanks again

I posted this site i found on another post on a similar topic they look well made would be handy if you spoke French but google could help you to translate , am tempted to get one when i need a new one .

http://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/229819308.htm?ca=10_s

Django57,

There's one thing to consider with those french clams: they might be less versatile than the Dixons.

I own a Blanchard clam very much like the one you showed (pretty much the same price as the one you posted if I remember correctly). Since its jaw doesn't close by itself and it is asymmetrical, it somehow forces you to use it 'horizontally' (bottom of the jaw against one thigh and other leg over the clam for pressure).

The Dixon clams seem to be more versatile - you can use them either horizontally or vertically. Since I realized that I'm beginning to consider to start a clam collection. :)

Thanks Avgvstvs , suppose it's what you get used to, appreciate your feedback thanks . This guy makes it look so natural . Another one i found http://www.decocuir.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=11490408

Edited by Django57

It's a bit harder (for me, at least) than he makes it look. :)

Since you can't see the back of the piece you really have to guide your needle with your awl blade on the back, otherwise you will damage the leather trying to find the hole. Not a problem practice won't solve though.