I have used Tandy's Hi-lite color stain and fiebings edge black on some chap tops and now need to seal it, but when I use the supersheen with a damp sponge as suggested it also wipes away some of the color. Any ideas as to how I can avoid this?

TIA

Are you buffing your color really really well? It's normal for it to pull up a little bit of the color, but buffing will limit that. If you want a completely undisturbed surface, airbrushing is about the best you can do. Also be sure that you've allowed enough drying time before buffing and doing anything else to it. At least over night, if not a full day or two.

Should I buff before I try to apply the sheen? I haven't done that. I have allowed plenty of drying time though. My SW Wyo weather has been as dry as ever as well so drying time really isn't too much of a problem for anything!

When I still used acrylic finishes (*-shene, resolene, etc.), I found that spraying it on in light coats, as Cyberthrasher suggests, was the best way to apply it. When sprayed on, it doesn't disturb the antique at all. For finishes, a cheaper, single-action sprayer will work perfectly well.

I've also been having the same problem and started a thread on this yesterday here; http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=48005

I'm having the same issue with the super sheen, and finding it's really pulling up a lot of the colour and just spreading it around making my project really streaky and muddy. Since I don't have an airbrush I'm going to try the Preval Power Unit sprayer from Tandy's to apply the finish on my existing project until I get some Sheridan RTC that I can try. Good Luck!

Should I buff before I try to apply the sheen? I haven't done that. I have allowed plenty of drying time though.

YES. By not buffing, you're suspending the residual pigment in the finish. Super Sheen and other finishes SEAL the leather, so buffing on top of them isn't doing much of anything. In terms of drying time, it's not a matter of the moisture left in the dye, but a matter of how well it's penetrated the leather. This can take time and the leather color can change after it sits. At least overnight, if not 24 - 48 hours. One thing that you may end up noticing is that the leather will lighten in color from the time you apply the dye. If you seal it right away, you're stuck with it. But, if you let it "dry" and penetrate, then you'll still have a chance to go back and adjust.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about RTC. I have a bottle of it sitting there to test, but haven't gotten to it yet. I use Resolene for nearly everything I do and haven't really had any need to jump and change products. I just like to know what's out there and test things out :)

I've heard a lot of good stuff about RTC. I have a bottle of it sitting there to test, but haven't gotten to it yet. I use Resolene for nearly everything I do and haven't really had any need to jump and change products. I just like to know what's out there and test things out :)

I honestly love the RTC. It's become my go-to product for both finishes and resists.