mnelson8758

Flat Backs Vs Molded Backs On Holsters

Just a question on which you prefer between a flat back holster or a molded back holster either iwb or owb and why you prefer? I'm asking because I just started an owb but gonna do it with a flat back to see the difference from a molded back.

Just remember, . . . opinions are like dirty socks, . . . everyone has a couple and the all stink at one time or another.

But since you asked, . . . I prefer flat, . . . more comfortable, . . . harder to make, . . . and does not have the retention of the molded back.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

For owb a flat back with all the molding on the front will not colaspe very much when on the body and gun is drawn, they stay open nicely. They also don't get Really tight on the gun when you wear them. FBP take a bit more time to make but they are nice. I do my IWB stuff regular pancake or wrap around with a reinforced throat, made for comfortable all dau wear not tactical drills or duty.

Taking more time is something I need to learn kind of an impatient person, doesn't go so well with making holsters. So guess make a few flat backs see if I can't learn

I've moved over completely to flat backs. For me, the process seems faster. But it's probably because I have now made more that way than the other way. I mold the entire front first. Make sure to allow extra room on the sides and bottom for molding. I use the back side as my pattern. Once it's molded and heat dried, I'll work out how the 2 pieces will fit together. Mark the back where I want to glue. Then glue it and press it. Once it dries I trim the excess off using the back as my final pattern.

Here is an edge shot of a 1911 holster, but it gives you and idea of the profile too.

DSC_0004_zpsf24c8871.jpg

And the back.

DSC_0002_zpsf76e3317.jpg

I only do flat back as well. Love the way they ride. Also don't know why people say not as tight because I've had a few that turned out way to tight lol

A36AC445-9935-43FD-96BD-E7EFC3FB7C3E-309-000000388A3AADE5.jpg

How are most of you that do flat backs moulding your front piece? Vacuum bag, press and rubber pads, etc?

Hand boning. Mold it down to the table. Retention is almost completely based on stitch line at that point. Stitching close will pull more leather down, making it tighter. I have gotten some VERY tight this way. I've since backed my stitch line off closer to where the glue line is. You get a good snap when it seats, but still draws well. I'm putting out a decent number of holsters, but not enough that I've gotten serious about other styles of molding.