Can anyone make any recommendations on the best way to go about having a used cylinder arm machine and stand shipped approximately 1000 miles?

I am trying to buy a used one from a forum member that had posted in the classified section. He is going to crate it up, but neither of us know anything about freight shipping. I did some quick calling around today and was getting quotes like $550! I knew shipping would not be cheap, but I was expecting more like $200.

Is this an unrealistic expectation? The seller is willing to take it to a shipping hub and I am willing to go to one to pick it up. I told the company I spoke with this, but still got the huge numbers. One girl on the phone acted as if the fact that it was a sewing machine put it in some higher price class.

Does it really matter what's in the crate (beyond the obvious hazardous and liquid restrictions)? I filled out a quote request on uship.com and got a quote of $183 which is perfectly reasonable and it's from a reputable carrier who's depot is not far from me. However, the only shipping category available to choose that a sewing machine seemed to fit under was "Business and Industrial Goods". I don't want to rely on these numbers if when the seller takes it to a carrier and says it's a sewing machine that the price goes back to $500.

Any suggestions are welcomed. I really want to make this deal work as its exactly what I've been looking for for quite a while. But I won't pay nearly half the cost of the machine to ship it.

Edited by evandailey

Try USHIP.COM

A buddy of mine packed up an Adler patcher into a heavy box, then strapped it and the iron base onto a standard pallet and shipped it from the UPS depot in Flint Michigan to California for about $250. Our dealers routinely ship the large Cowboy and Cobra machines across the US and Canada for prices ranging from about $220 to $350, give or take. If the trucker has to navigate a side street and lower his lift gate, he charges another $50 to $100. Therefore, it is cheaper to ship from a terminal to a terminal, than residence to residence.

Look either online or in your phonebook & see if here's a Fastenal company store by you & him.I've they ship for around $100.00 or so.

Look either online or in your phonebook & see if here's a Fastenal company store by you & him.I've they ship for around $100.00 or so.

This is intriguing.

There are Fastenal's very close. Did you just ask them to use their account with a carrier, or do they ship as a service?

Also do you find it necessary to enclose the machine in a crate, or is it sufficient to remove the head from the table and secure it all to a pallet? I don't know how carefull LTL Freight carriers are. I know a crate is best, but it also adds weight and size.

Edited by evandailey

You can call them & ask but the way I understand it is you have it packed up,take it to your local shop & they deliver to the shop closest to where it's going.

Quote //// Also do you find it necessary to enclose the machine in a crate, or is it sufficient to remove the head from the table and secure it all to a pallet? I don't know how carefull LTL Freight carriers are. I know a crate is best, but it also adds weight and size.

A crate will add to the cost, but i would rather pay a little more for a crate than maybe have a busted machine ??

You can call them & ask but the way I understand it is you have it packed up,take it to your local shop & they deliver to the shop closest to where it's going.

Thank you so much Bob for this recommendation. Fastenal will ship it for $200. It takes a little longer to get here through them, but I'll wait a week to save $3-400!

We also ship them in a box w/carefully placed Styrofoam in it & then strap the box to the pallet & bolt & strap the stand too & even put a strap around the motor too.There's a lot of viabration the back of the trailers & the nuts can loosen & the motor will fall of usually breaking the clutch arm.