Sign in to follow this  
CustomDoug

Change Color Of Whole Hides (Help)

Hi guys, I've found some $60 full size whole hides of "Andrew Muirhead Premium Scottish" leather, which is supposedly high quality upholstery leather and is supposedly used in aircraft interiors. As a matter of fact, the hides I've found are in an 'American Airlines Blue' color. I would like to use these hides to do a couple of interior club chairs, a small sofa and the interior on my '71 Volvo 1800E. The problem is that I'm not all that crazy about the color, especially for the car. So.. if I'd consider spraying them another color - what would be the best method. I already have a small "detail" HVLP spray gun and compressor, and would prefer to use this over investing in an airbrush kit. Which dyes (or paints) are recommended? required preparations? Does and Don'ts ? Advice? Can better deals be found in less-specific colors? Thanks in advance!

~ Doug

The big issue is that they are already a relatively dark blue color and your only options are going to be darker. You may be able to shift the color some, but only to something along the lines of a color that mixes with blue. i.e. purples, ugly browns, dark greens, and black. It's an additive color process. Putting a layer of paint on it won't be anything more than a layer of paint that will wear off and expose the color underneath. What you'll end up needing is an actual dye meant for use on leather, but if it'll be use in a car, you'll need to worry about colorfastness. Exposure to UV will lighten the color. There have been other dyes that are meant for use on shirts for tie-dyeing that seem to produce very good, colorfast results.

I wish I had better new for you. Hopefully someone else with more information on the topic than I will be able to add to this.

I happen to have a document sitting on my desk that might help... The leather is likely referred to (at least what my source calls it) as "Technical Leather" (or "pigmented leather" - it says it is "extremely durable for additional pigments and other finishes are applied to the leather. Developed for the automotive and aviation industry. Extremely uniform, less soft and has a very limited possibility of breathing, withstands extreme environments, very easy to care for and clean."

The document also says it "undergoes the same processes as aniline and semi-aniline leather, but is given additional pigmented finishing and other treatments to meet the standards of the automotive and aviation industries. As a result, technical leather lacks some structure of the natural hide. It is extremely tough, durable and easy to clean and maintain."

For what it's worth, this document came from "American Leather" - a furniture manuracturer.

What I am hearing is that it probably won't be easy to change the color on this leather then...

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Automotive / aviation leather is intended to be super durable and stain resistant. In other words, it's designed to maintain its intended color over the life of the product. Ever seen a Ford King Ranch edition truck that's seen a few miles? The leather's likely discolored where it's seen contact with skin oils (backs of the legs, arm rests, etc.). That's because it's actually a premium leather with little extra treatments done (if any?). Compare that with the typical automotive leather, and you'll see a huge difference.

The leather you have is likely not going to work for you if you want to change the color.

Thanks for the help guys.. Sounds like it wouldn't be a bad choice if I planned to keep the color blue. BTW, the description states that they are 'easy and cheap to change the color'... but that could be just a sales pitch to move the leather (which is discontinued). I may ask the seller for his suggestions on what he might have used to dye them in the past or how he'd do it. Also, just a note - it's flame retardant, not a bad idea in a 42 year old car.

PS - I know of American Leather well, they offered me a job as a pattern cutter (what's the term?) a few years back as I had worked for 'Leather Center' making furniture in the past..

Edited by CustomDoug