pavilionpony

Motorcycle Seats

Hi everyone, I have some questions I was hoping to get some help on becuase you all do such awesome work! And I know there are some die hard bike fans on here.

I have never done a motorcycle seat before; (I am just experimenting - on my own bike - it is just an old Suzuki dirt bike, lol, almost as old as I am...so yes it needs serious work!). I would like to redo the entire bike this winter, redo the seat, tank, etc.

My question is about the seat. I pulled it off yesterday, and of course - it didn't look like much of a seat. It was even hard to tell how it was put together becuase there isnt much of it left. I filled in the holes with some stuff so I have the 'seat shape' and padding back. I am doing the actual seat in two pieces, due to leather quantity that I have on hand, and its mine so I'm not worried about if it isn't proper at this point. I dont have any of the actual black seat leather. I'm using about nine oz. leather. I stuck a coat hanger in through the sides and wrapped it around, cased it (stitched around the coat hanger) and bent it around the edge to the underneath side of the seat. Im not too sure if that is sufficient for holding it though? The clips are mostly rusted off the bottom, but I guess I can make more of those.

What in the world can I use on this leather so it is weather resistant? I have no clue. Thanks for any help :)

Cindy

Edited by pavilionpony

we.... first off 9oz leather is way heavy for your seat. 3-4oz would have done the job just fine.

pop rivets would be the best way to secure the cover.

peacards leather dressing is what i use on all my seats.

Thank You Roger :). - Hey, maybe I have a REALLY big butt! Lol - I know the nine is way to heavy but it is all I have here right now

:(. So I will have to make it do. So, I could have just done the pop rivets instead of the hangers and all that garb? Grrrrrr. Should've known better and posted before I started screwing around with this seat! :deadsubject: Glad tomorrow is friday, think I will drink a few extra beers.....

Hi all, I have a question about using pop rivets. I've sat on several seats where I could feel the pop rivets, & sometimes even see a slight bump from the ouside. Are the rivets the best thing to use? Just asking,,,, Thats what I used in the past. I just thought there may be something better. Ed

Hi all, I have a question about using pop rivets. I've sat on several seats where I could feel the pop rivets, & sometimes even see a slight bump from the ouside. Are the rivets the best thing to use? Just asking,,,, Thats what I used in the past. I just thought there may be something better. Ed

nothing better or stronger as far as i'm concerned.

i use aluminum large diameter head rivets.

if you can see or feel the rivets, then they may be the wrong legnth.

they are made different legnths for different grip ranges.