Sign in to follow this  
shtoink

My Work Was Featured...

As those of you who know me, I have many interests, but few stray far from some sort of engineering related topic. I tend to geek out a little hard at times, but it keeps me off the streets and out of trouble. One of those things is learning more about becoming a better hobby machinist. I absolutely love tools, especially those that aid in making other tools. One of those tools SolidWorks. I seem to halfway decent at it and it helps me visualize things without getting lost along the way when actually building things.

While searching for information on gear cutting, I came across an extremely well documented blog that had just the kind of thing I was looking for. It also had a wealth of other information, to include plans for a fly fishing reel. I needed a short-term project to gain a sense of accomplishment and modeling that reel seemed just the thing. This type of thing helps when you're mired down with working out details of another project that isn't proceeding as planned.

After modeling it, I contacted the owner of the blog and showed him the work I had done and asked if he wanted a copy of the renders and subsequent files I used to render them. After a few emails and some further tweaking to the SolidWorks model, I made a series of renders to show off the reel. He was so pleased with the results that he made a blog post specifically for them.

Clearly I am very excited about it and is the very reason I am sharing this with you all.

If you decide to follow the links, please take the time to browse through the rest of his blog. There is a wealth of information there and it covers a wide range of interests. Whether you are looking for a superb spinning reel that is hand made by a detail obsessed engineer, want to build one yourself from his plans, or you just want to read up on some of the things that go into making a fly fishing reel, it's there for you with plenty of pictures and details along the way.

That is really cool work Keenan! Congrats :)

Way to go Kennan!!!!! Cheryl

Thank you very much.

Sometimes our interests lead us to the most unexpected places.

Jaw drops ... mind blowing!