rawhide1

Replacement For Phaff 1245

Howdy all

I'm wanting to replace my 1245 with a cylinder arm machine. I'm not sure what would be a good replacement for it tho. What are your opinions I would like to find a old treadle cyclinder arm machine. I need it to sew the same range as the 1245 or maybe a lil lighter material.

I have a pearson #6 for my heavy stuff and a singer 29k60 for the odd stuff. I'm in no big hurry I just want a idea in case I come across a deal.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Do you like the pfaff 1245? It is a very well built machine. Pfaff made 335 cylinder arm machine if you want a quality machine.

Steve

Thanks for the reply. I was starting to think I pissed everyone off!!!

I do like the 1245 it's a great machine. Not only do I use it for leather but I also repair my dept. bunker gear with it. I just think I'd be better served with a cyclinder arm machine. That way I could use a table if I needed too. Is the 335 the same machine just in the cyclinder arm. I'm pretty open to any machine though as long as it is a good machine and it will sew about the same parameters. I was hoping someone would know of a older singer or such that was treadle operated.

Mike

Look at some of the type 227 cylinder arm machines. They are usually medium duty walking foot machines with about a 3" diameter arm. They take the same presser feet as most standard walking foot machines made by Singer, Juki, Consew, Chandler, etc. Capacity is typically 3/8 inch, using #138 thread.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Thanks Wiz

I'll take a look at those. That sounds like it will suit my needs fine.

Mike

Among the old gray Pfaff machines the 345 cyl. bed with vertical hook is the nearest machine to the 1245. The old 335 have a small arm with horizontal hook and will not take heavy thread. The new 335 however, comes in a "heavy" subclass. The Pfaff 345 has a thicker arm but they do not make it anymore. Its hard to replace a 1245, you can look for a *DA 269-373 (* Dürkopp Adler). They have a big arm vertical hook and are in the same duty ranking as the 1245. Newer *DA machines who ends on 69 (triple feed cyl bed) will of course do the job, also the older 169 will do. The *DA 69 is to light, small arm , small bobbin like the old Pfaff 335. You could also look in too newer Chinese clone machines of these classes like Wiz suggests. However, the 1245 sets a high standard and will be expensive to match.

Good luck

Tor

Trox

Thanks for the info. I took a look at the 227s and although they would do the job. I'm looking for a older machine preferably a treadle or hand crank. I'll take a look at some of the machines you mentioned. Did singer not make any older machines that might fit the bill. The 1245 I have is grey and it's a great machine I would just like a cyclinder arm.

Thanks again, Mike

Singer made the 153 series cyl. arm machines. The 101 and 103 are compound feed machines, and the 102 is not. They are capable of sewing 3/8" with 138 thread and could be fitted to a treadle base.It is the same basic machine as the 227 that Wiz mentioned and takes standard walking feet and 135 x 17/16 needles, readily available. They are also grey in color. Gump

Gump

Thanks for the info. I'll look those up too. Lots of homework but I like to know my options.

Thanks again,Mike

Trox

Thanks for the info. I took a look at the 227s and although they would do the job. I'm looking for a older machine preferably a treadle or hand crank. I'll take a look at some of the machines you mentioned. Did singer not make any older machines that might fit the bill. The 1245 I have is grey and it's a great machine I would just like a cyclinder arm.

Thanks again, Mike

Treadle or hand crank might be a option on all sewing machines. I do not think you will not find any triple-feed cylinder-beds with hand crank as standard. You might find one with a treadle, but they had electrical motors when the first triple feed machines came on the marked. Do you look for a old machine machine because you want a treadle/hand crank or because of your budget?

Tor

Trox

The 1245 was my first machine I bought. On average most of my sewing runs are 6-10 inches on each side and both ends to sew snaps/buckles on. So I just hand cranked the 1245. On long runs such as belts and headstall pieces I could feather the clutch motor alright. And I was happy as heck with the 1245 even tho I was limited on sewing gussets and such I made it work. But then I got my singer 29k60 and pearson #6 and wow I love how they sound and look. They also seem a little less complicated for me to work out problems on. I'll be honest I just handwheel those two machines also. Because as of now I'm not cordinated enough to use my feet and hands at the same time!!!LOL

So I guess I'm looking for a older machine because I like the craftmanship of old machines and I'd be a liar if I said money also wasn't a issue. I'd love to sell my 1245 and buy another machine and have money left over to buy more leather tools!! I guess I'm not busy enough and don't plan on being that busy that I need a fancy smancy machine that will sew like the devil!! Sorry for being so long winded!

Mike