bjbwt2

Plugged Stitch Groover

Any suggestions on how to un-plug a stitch groover? I've been "teasing" the plugged leather with needles, scratch awl, etc. NO LUCK! Before you ask - No I don't currently have any replacement blades and yes I'm going to fix that soon. Thanks in advance....

Lighter or match flame. Not too much, just enough to scorch the leather.

Thanks, I'd thought about that. My other thought was to drill out the back side of the blade about 1 size larger so the little strip of leather would have an easier time feeding through the tool.

and then strop the cutting portion of the groover. It should be peeling the leather out of the groove in a pretty continuous string.

Puttin a little wax occasionally after stropping helps it glide better also.

Update - The match trick worked well. I was trying to groove leather that had already been treated with vinegroon. It seems that makes it a little different consistency and a little tougher to feed through the tool. The wax trick may fix that problem. As a side note I always strop the groover before use. I am still going to try drilling out the back side of the tool 1 size (once I get my back-up). Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for the delay - I haven't been getting notifications about this thread for some reason. Also I this forum is NOT letting me start a new paragraph by pushing "enter" and it is really annoying. Does anyone know why that is happening?