Procyon650

Attaching Buckle Tips

I have a 3 piece buckle set I wish to attach to a belt. I have never used one of the strap tips before and I am unsure how it is secured to the belt tip. They included a very small set screw which seems be designed to press on the strap from the back side of the tip piece. Is this all there is to it? It doesn't seem like the most secure system in the world. Is it glued as well? Is a small hole drilled into the back of the tip for the set screw to sit in or do I have it completely wrong?

They are designed to have a trimmed belt tip inserted into them and the set screw snugged into the leather. I agree that it is not the most secure process. I've only one a couple of belts with a metal tip, but I do use glue to help hold the tip in place. Leather weld, epoxy, wood glue, whatever glue you have on hand that works on metal should do the trick.

When I do these, I don't glue them but after reading Glendon's post I might try that. I trim the leather until the tip fits nice and snug, then I mark the location of the set screw through the tip, remove it, make a small hole deep in the leather (at least half way through), then I use Loctite (sp?) on the set screw and tighten it up well. I've never had one come off.

Chief

Like above, I don't do a lot of these, . . . but I have done several.

I make the tip fit snug, type snug, . . . as oposed to loose type snug. It has to be forced in with both hands. I use my razor knives, . . . a belt sander, . . . and skiving tool to get it this way.

The key I have found is in the trimming, . . . take your time, . . . be very careful how you cut the tip so it goes in and fits as near perfect as possible.

The one thing that will destroy your good job is if the tip is loose. Then it'll wiggle and wrangle till it comes off.

I don't drill mine, . . . I just tighten tht screw down as tight as I can with my small tipped screwdriver, . . . then use my Dremel tool to flatten the back and remove any burrs that could scratch the front of the belt.

It's worked so far.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Ok thanks for the replies. I will trim as close as I can to a perfect fit, I was planning on a bit of Loctite (blue) as well. I will use a bit of glue and hope for the best.

Thanks again