I joined this forum in November of 2012 thinking I'd start doing some holsters. I made a few for me that turned out OK. I made a few for some friends/coworkers and they seemed to like them,,,,,,,,,, yada yada yada,,,,, I've finished/shipped 4 holsters and 4 mag pouches and have "orders" for 4 more holsters. I kind of just wanted something to do to keep me occupied and now work seems to be piling up. There seems to be a big demand for holsters. I'm trying to avoid becoming a "business". Has anyone on here "accidently" gone into the holster business?

I initially started just to make holster for me and my wife. Then I wanted a side business and have nearly got another full time job. Or at least a side business that takes almost all of my free time. Things got busy around Thanksgiving, and got ridiculous in December. Stayed that way until about 3 weeks ago. But I mainly do OWB holsters, so summer slows down anyway. Add vacations and people generally being busier outside and my orders slow down. But I had to reduce my ebay listings and bump my adds on local forums less just to buy time to keep up. So I'm not too upset to see it slow down a bit.

When you start out a lot of folks see chum in the water and pounce on cheap work. It affords you learning so it all works out in the wash.

When you start out a lot of folks see chum in the water and pounce on cheap work. It affords you learning so it all works out in the wash.

I scare a lot of people off with price. I really don't know why some one would even want a cheap leather holster? I won't sell a holster for less than $80 and that sends the cheap skates running. With $20+/- of leather $5000 worth of dedicated tools in the shop you are still basically giving a holster away at $80. Sorry ranting had a couple of annoying cheap skates this week.

When I started this several years ago, . . . it was knowing I was retiring from the "factory" and would like to stay active doing something I liked to do. I became an avid fan of leather work as a teenager in the late 50's.

Now, . . . yes, . . . it is a business, . . . I pay my taxes, file my forms, keeping the "gubment" at arms length, . . . have a website (very basic), . . . have sold on Ebay, Gunbroker, etc.

I try to satisfy my $$ requirements as well as my customers desires, . . . but also pay homage to the fact that I haven't done like many of my friends who left the "factory" and now are either passed on or vegitating in place.

That alone allows me the luxury to offer a quality product at a decent price, . . . and I constantly ask myself if I were the customer: "Would you pay that much????"

I have to be able to say yes, . . . or the price comes down. I take my business model idea from my grandfather, Will Webb, who was a pastor like myself, but also was a farmer and a blacksmith.

May God bless,

Dwight

I scare a lot of people off with price. I really don't know why some one would even want a cheap leather holster? I won't sell a holster for less than $80 and that sends the cheap skates running. With $20+/- of leather $5000 worth of dedicated tools in the shop you are still basically giving a holster away at $80. Sorry ranting had a couple of annoying cheap skates this week.

I can't speak for you, but the only thing I have with a leather cost at or above $20 is a cowboy rig or saddle scabbard.

When I first started anything I sold wasn't worth good money. I knew it, my customer knew it, but we were both happy. As quality increases so does the cost. I'd imagine I have 2-3 times that figure in tools and I could spend double that tomorrow and not have everything i wanted.

To me there is a difference between inexpensive and cheap. Uncle Mikes is cheap, low quality leather is cheap, top quality materials put together by a mediocre at best newbie like I was? That was inexpensive but for good reason. Folks buy what they can afford and I'm not here to judge 'em by their purchases.

, . . . and I constantly ask myself if I were the customer: "Would you pay that much????"

I have to be able to say yes, . . . or the price comes down. I take my business model idea from my grandfather, Will Webb, who was a pastor like myself, but also was a farmer and a blacksmith.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hey Dwight, I think that right there sums up my feelings real nicely. Whenever I look at something no matter how miniscule that isn't quite right...it eats at me until I fix it, replace it, etc. Other folks would send it out saying they'll never notice and family/friends have called me crazy more than once. To get my stamp it has to be 'right.'

I'll never get rich off it but I sure do enjoy it.

I'm not judging anybody because they can't afford a high quality holster. I'm a working man with a large family so I know about the value of things. I've just had a couple of rude potential customers lately. Example: I engage in a lengthy correspondence with a customer about a very customized holster requiring a magazine pouch integrated into the holster. So I figure the price of a holster and the price of a mag pouch, knock $20 dollars of that. After sending the price message never hear from the customer again. That just rude. At least tell me "no I can't afford that thanks, I'm going to have to stick with my uncle mikes". He could have even negotiated with me, he might have told me he was vet in which case I would have given him a substantial discount.

Yeah, I started off with a price point on some things that folks could take a chance on. I've bumped my price up a few times as things changed; either material cost, postage, or just better reputation to market with. I'm mid range on my custom leather stuff. I've upped the price twice since I started. I'm higher than the mass produced stuff, and under the name brand custom stuff. It's a good spot for me right now. I'm not making a killing by any means, but it's extra money for me and the family. And I'm not in a great place to market high end work. Most of my leather work is local or on a two state gun forum. My reputation and word of mouth on the gun forum is driving most of my leather work. And a couple of repeat local customers. I figure I am gaining more traction for another price bump if I want to. But I'll wait until I need to use the bump to slow things down.

I put out some early holsters that I cringe at now, and those folks have still told me it's the best holster they have ever owned. Perception is a funny thing.

Most if my products have been directly related to demand. I started off offering embossed single and double layer belts, and doing repairs, but since then have branched to some adult stuff, holsters, bags and all sorts of other things. Lots of times they are a one off product but it gives me experience and makes them happy. Particularly the left handed crowd which I have specifically marketed to over the years.

Right now though I have had to turn down several orders, because I am just not set up for the items they want (lack of blue guns and whatnot), it is those times where I send them off to other local people who I know can do better work and make them happy. Historically my customers remember that and check with me for future orders first.

Price point is complicated at times like that. People come to me because I am cheap, and I generally work out deals where they will just pay for the materials in exchange for product testing and a review. That way my development is at least partially covered, without going into the hole with unhappy customers, or simply lost materials.

"Right now though I have had to turn down several orders, because I am just not set up for the items they want (lack of blue guns and whatnot)

Shadow don't turn down work because of a lack of a blue gun, here is my pitch I use. If I don't have a blue gun but they do make one I will set up the customer with a deal. For 60 bucks prepaid I will build their holster after I get the gun. It might take eight weeks. I tell them the true cost of the gun and take a loss, but then I make up for it with now having a new blue gun.

Oh that is the plan for later. When I get everything else set up the way I want. Right now if they are local I just have them bring the gun or knife over and they get to see me do some of the work. But, point of interest. Chief Jason and I are on the same local group selling our stuff. With a few other very fine makers. So until I am fully ready, I don't mind passing on stuff I know he or others can do a better job at than myself. Rather lose the sale at the beginning then try to do something I know I am not fully set up for, and not have it come out as good as I want.