rfkoen

Sewing Straight Line Help

We are still getting used to our Tacsew T111-155. In making pocket notebooks (a cover with a pocket on each side) we are having trouble keeping the sewing lines straight. My wife thinks the issue occurs when thickness changes. In sewing the long edges she goes from 2 layers of leather to 1 layer then back to 2 again. And then in one spot we have an elastic loop sewn in as a pen holder.

Are there any tips or tricks of the trade for keeping lines straight when sewing around a rectangular project?

post-38919-0-86661700-1371655408_thumb.g

I'm a total noob compared to most of the guys on the board, but I have found that an edge guide does wonders for keeping straight lines, even with a change in thickness. Get a drop down edge guide if you can, it makes turning your work much easier.

I always use an edge guide when sewing anything along an outside edge.

Okay, I'm also a noob! What's and edge guide, and where can we get one?

Okay, I'm also a noob! What's and edge guide, and where can we get one?

Edge guides are devices that mount onto a sewing machine, either on the bed (screw on and slide to use), over the front side (clamps between front side of machine and cutout in table. Swings away or inline with needle.), or on the back of the head (drop down style). No matter how they are installed, all of them have a means of moving a roller or flat plate towards or away from the plane of the needle. You loosen an adjuster to set the desired distance between the left side of the guide and the needle, then lock it in place. As you sew, keep the material pressed against the guide and you will get a perfectly straight stitch line.

Any industrial sewing machine dealer has edge guides. You can buy them in various configurations for whatever your machine requires. Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, a supporter of this forum, sells them. I strongly suspect that all of our contributing and supporting dealers have any type of guide you may need. Some dealers will even create a custom edge guide for your requirements.

Here's the edge guide on my CB 3500.

post-4803-0-42073900-1371679208_thumb.jp

Thanks for all of the help! We will definitely be looking into this. I have a call in to a local shop, but if they don't have it Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines is my fallback since I've already purchased some thread and needles from Bob. Thanks!

How well do the edge guides work that are built into the pressor foot? I realize the distance from the edge is not adjustable, but right now all our edge sewing is the same fixed width.

How well do the edge guides work that are built into the pressor foot? I realize the distance from the edge is not adjustable, but right now all our edge sewing is the same fixed width.

Fair to Midland, depending on how straight the edge is and how thick it is. The spring guides work best when the edge is dead-straight and at least 1/8 inch thick. If the leather is much thinner, or the top is rounded, the guide can slip over the edge.