Ian1783

What Are The Advantages Of A Cylinder-Arm Sewing Machine?

I'll be picking up a Singer 153W103 cylinder-arm machine today and wondered what they are best used for. I'll be using it for simple products in upholstery-weight leather.

I have a 29K60 patcher (still need a part or two before it's ready), and hope I'm not moving in the wrong direction with a cylinder-arm machine. I'm still looking for a flatbed compound walking foot.

I'm a tinkerer; I mostly love working on the machines, but I have a decent supply of leather and thought I'd try my hand at rustic stash bags, while my wife is looking to make more pillows.

By the way, is there an advantage to the long arm of a Singer 29K60 over a short-arm version?

Will post pics later today or tomorrow of the 153.

Ian

SF Bay Area

http://imcinnis.blogspot.com/

We use our 153's mainly for hemming cuffs on GoreTex, wool, and oilskin jackets.

Regards, Eric

Took me about a half hour to make a flat top for my 153w101, so basically 2 machines in one now. I'm not sure but the one Bob sells for his clone of the 153 may work.

Jeremy

So, maybe I'm going in the wrong direction with this.

At any rate, I do love a project!

Pics show two parts that are broken: the part with the chip out of it seems like it might be serviceable. The other, which operates the feed dog, has part of it broken off. This, I'm sure, will need replacing.

More may be wrong here, I don't know. Just getting into it, and lots to learn. I can say that I ran into any number of screws that were rather loose. I figure someone took this apart, did not replace parts, put things back together to keep things together.

Note the two different feed plates. The one with dual openings was on the machine with one screw missing. It isn't the correct one (single-opening feed plate is).

The machine is from 1962. The overall condition of both the machine and table suggest not too many miles. Machines appears very complete. Photos show it partially dismantled.

Ian

SF Bay Area

Jeremy, that's interesting. I didn't know this was an option. A flatbed attachment?

Ian

SF Bay Area

post-34669-0-24487300-1371771187_thumb.j

post-34669-0-24706000-1371771285_thumb.j

post-34669-0-71033600-1371771393_thumb.j

post-34669-0-08063000-1371771424_thumb.j

So, maybe I'm going in the wrong direction with this.

At any rate, I do love a project!

Pics show two parts that are broken: the part with the chip out of it seems like it might be serviceable. The other, which operates the feed dog, has part of it broken off. This, I'm sure, will need replacing.

More may be wrong here, I don't know. Just getting into it, and lots to learn. I can say that I ran into any number of screws that were rather loose. I figure someone took this apart, did not replace parts, put things back together to keep things together.

Note the two different feed plates. The one with dual openings was on the machine with one screw missing. It isn't the correct one (single-opening feed plate is).

The machine is from 1962. The overall condition of both the machine and table suggest not too many miles. Machines appears very complete. Photos show it partially dismantled.

Ian

SF Bay Area

Jeremy, that's interesting. I didn't know this was an option. A flatbed attachment?

Ian

SF Bay Area

Hi, and what direction is that? As far as I can tell the Singer 153W-103 is a compound triple feed with a four motion bottom feed (feed dog), add a table and its a flatbed too. I do not know what thread sizes it takes. However, its all here in its user manual http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/153W101_W102_W103_154W101.pdf

Tor

The Singer 153 uses a standard industrial G bobbin. It holds a modicum of thread, as long as it is not too thick. I used to own that model and found that it was best used with #69 or #92 thread. Sometimes I would use #138 as a top stitch thread, with #92 in the bobbin.

This is a very old machine.

I was afraid Eric's comment about the uses he's found for the machine, hemming cuffs, suggested a more limited use than would do for me. The cylinder does seem especially suitable for cuffs. But Jeremy's comment about a flat bed attachment, reiterated by Trox, opened up the machine's possibilities for me.

Wizcrafts' information about the required bobbin (I have none) and thread size is, per usual, of the greatest importance to me.

I realize this is an old design, and the lack of a reverse renders it less than ideal, but if the costs of parts for repair can be kept to a minimum (here, I'm hoping Bob will be of help), I believe this will be a good next step in my progress toward limited, leather-goods production as an interesting adjunct to my hobby: the maintenance and repair of vintage sewing machines.

My first step will be to thoroughly clean and lubricate the machine, and clean and reassemble the table (I am contemplating a new, smaller, table top).

By the way, this came with a working (I'm told) 220v, three-phase motor. A little much for me, so, after new parts and adjustments (and hopefully the revelation that this is one superfine machine), I'll do as I did with my Consew (now, regretfully, gone) and order a servo setup from Bob at Toledo.

Ian

SF Bay Area

Sorry I failed to mention a flatbed adapter Ian. If we need a flatbed in the factory, we just use a flatbed. I also have original Singer parts 240684, and 240688. Those are the parts you show damaged. You'll need to investigate why the feed dog carrier broke. That is somewhat uncommon. They wear, don't see them break often.

Regards, Eric

Thanks for confirming the availability of a flatbed adaptor, Eric. You mention a part # 240684 - I wonder if you meant part # 240607. I've just compiled a list of parts I need (photo attached):

Tension Release Slide - Singer Part # 240500. This thing is in pieces (with a piece or two missing). I can't locate it on the parts diagram.

Lifting Fork Singer Part # 240607. Definitely need this (wonder where the missing piece is).

Feed Lift Eccentric - Singer Part # 204688. I should get this. Could be serviceable, but I'd rather have it whole.

Feed Driving Rock Shaft - Singer Part # 233614. This looks to have had a few threads worth of its shaft broken off. May work, but not adjustable, I think>

Feed-dog Cover Screw - Singer Part # 200577AL.

Bobbin Case Lever Fulcrum - Singer Part # 203576. This looks to be OK, but it has a slight gouge at the end of one of its "arms"

Most have to do with the "bobbin area". Though, I haven't been able to locate where the Tension Release Slide (Singer part # 240500) goes. Nor can I tell just went wrong for these parts to "go". I imagine a scenario where a needle broke, jammed, ham-fisted maintenance person got in there with a fix, things escalated, etc.

Are these parts generally available? You mention, Eric, that you have some parts. Are you a resource for parts like these? If so, I'd like a quote, if you'd be so kind. I did find most of them on Ebay, but would rather give my business to those advertising on Leatherworker.

Ian

SF Bay Area

imcinnis@comcast.net

post-34669-0-28186200-1371849968_thumb.j

And a question about the oil this machine takes: Singer says to use B or D oil. I've been using Tri-flow almost exclusively for my vintage domestics. Is this an option? And if not, just what are B and D oils? Any common substitutes?

Ian

SF Bay Area

I love tri-flow for the locksmithing I do, but you should use a regular sewing machine oil for your 153. Any supplier should carry it. I'm not a parts supplier, I just happen to have a 55 year accumulation of parts for a company that at one time had 800 machines in 5 different factories. I have boxes of parts I'll never use. I have about a 20lb box of 153 parts, some new, some used. Check first with one of the sponsors here on Leatherworker, most of those parts should be available. If you really get stuck on one or two, I'll dump out the box I have and start digging.

Regards, Eric

Thanks Eric. Very kind of you. I do have this one follow-up question regarding the tension release slide. I'm hoping your familiarity with the machine might make you the choice for some enlightenment (Googling this got me nowhere):

Just how and where is this piece fitted? On the back of the machine, the tension release lever is in place, and it activates the Foot Bar Lifting Bracket Part # 264526. I believe the Tension Release Slide goes on the large-diameter-head screw that seems to cover part of the lifting bracket. I suppose that, once in my hands, all will become clear.

Ian

SF Bay Area

I'll check at work Monday for that tension slide diagrahm, or I'll look on one of my machines.

Regards, Eric

Thanks for confirming the availability of a flatbed adaptor, Eric.

My flatbed is a homebrew one. I think Eric meant that in the factory they just use a different machine altogether, if I had the space and money I'd have more macines than the 3 I have, each set up for different thread and so on. Feed off the arm would be handy or a patcher that will sew 138 top and bottom.

BTW I use 138 in my 153w101 sews real nice with that. My dog works differently than yours, why they made some of the 153s with "four motion underfeed" I don't know.

Jeremy

Edited by J Hayes

My flatbed is a homebrew one. I think Eric meant that in the factory they just use a different machine altogether, if I had the space and money I'd have more macines than the 3 I have, each set up for different thread and so on. Feed off the arm would be handy or a patcher that will sew 138 top and bottom.

BTW I use 138 in my 153w101 sews real nice with that. My dog works differently than yours, why they made some of the 153s with "four motion underfeed" I don't know.

Jeremy

Yeah, there are so many variations with the 153's. A good portion of Singer's history was designing machines for a specific industry or even a specific operation on a garment.. (Levi's probably is the best example.) The 153 was produced for Levi to hem the cuffs on the 501's. At some point, they changed things around, made improvements etc. Since earlier machines were already out there, the parts had to be supported and the size of the classes snowballed. The flatbed version of the 153 is the 111 and 211 classes.

Since we make jeans in the factory, a good example is the Singer 300w series. It was always a flatbed until Levi asked for a cylinder style machine to set the waistbands on jeans. The two needle chainstitch has an 1 1/4" needle gauge. Singer took a regular flatbed 300w and made a conversion kit. Goofy looking, but it works well.

Regards, Eric

My homebrew flatbed conversion, depending where I left the clamps its on in no time. The cutout isis wider on the bottom and rests on the cylinder for stability. Works well when I sew large pockets for the bags I make.

post-29226-0-32569000-1371869066_thumb.j

post-29226-0-53590000-1371869079_thumb.j

Love the flatbed setup, Jeremy. It's things like that that have me more and more able to see the possibilities in my machines. I can doing something like that in the future.

I notice you have your machine oriented on its table in a way that mine is not. I've see others do this. I was thinking of making a new top for my stand in order to keep it to as small a footprint as possible in my small hobby room. Though, mine came with a Singer stand and top in great condition, and I don't know that I'd want chop it down. I do plan on putting wheels on the stand.

Ian

SF Bay Area

i have a 153 and using the 23 needle I have been able to sew with a 346 thread thru many a pair of Custom Rodeo chaps! 7 oz tooled leather stacked on top of two 4-5 oz chap leather! small bobbin is only downfall to this machine! I love it, but next machine will have bigger bobbin...

I also made a table top attachment... two machines in one...