Sign in to follow this  
Eaglestroker

Roy Bakers 1903 Hammerless

I thought a few of you might enjoy this. I had the gun out for an order this weekend so I went a little snap happy. To some folks that name doesn't mean squat but to me it means a good bit, and the fact that my grandfather was friends with him and purchased a many rigs after he watched Roy make them is a neat connection for me. After my grandfather saw the growing interest in all things leather he told me, 'You know that 1903 I have? I bought if off Ray one day when he was on a drinking binge.' My grandad is a trader/wheeler/dealer who worked for the Arkansas Highway Patrol and traveled all over so this really didn't surprise me. It's pretty neat to know where this came from, though. As a side note Roy Baker is a little fella from Arkansas who invented, patented, and made a bit of money off the Pancake holster.

In any case on to the photos. She isn't winning any beauty contests but she's awful pretty to me.

DSC_0134_zps078ddce7.jpg

DSC_0132_zpsa140e2df.jpg

DSC_0131_zpse5f3cfff.jpg

DSC_0130_zps2e1a7295.jpg

DSC_0142_zps26769367.jpg

DSC_0140_zps93b5f26f.jpg

Many people don't know that the 1903 hammerless was the pre-cursor to the famous 1911 by John Moses Browning. It was actually called the pocket hammerless, must have had some deep pockets back then. If you do some digging at a few gun shows you might be able to find a replacement grip. Very nice acquisition indeed, I am jealous.

I remember you telling me about that 1903's history, and remember thinking you should tell it's history on here. So many of us on here make pancake holsters, which makes that a really neat story.

Paul

I have one of those Colt 1903's that was made in 1911 I believe. It has aftermarket ivory grips (not sure if they are real ivory) on it. I need a set of the type 1 original grips like those on yours. Al Capone was said to have carried one of these in his vest pocket often......Thanks for sharing..........Rory

Be careful firing it, I'd recommend light loads only. The steel used isn't the best, they tend to explode...

Its one of the ten or so gun I refuse to work on when gunsmithing...