TXAG

Lanyard Help Requested, Please...

I appreciate your posting the details on this for me very much...unfortunately, I cannot understand the grid diagrams...at least not yet. I haven't been able to find an explanation of how they work that makes sense to me. :(

I will try to study it until it makes sense though...I'll try putting it on a TP tube and see if I can get it then. Wish I could just find a simple O/U formula for adding a different color...

Edited by TXAG

I can't follow those graphs yet either. Seems nothing is simple. I have the Marlinspike Knot Works DVD and it is the simpliest I have found. He does an interweave with a second color. I also have Gail's book The Art Of Braiding Revised. I found her instructions hard to follow but finally managed to get the pinapple knot figured out and then the interweave was not to bad. I still have to look at the instructions even after making a dozen or so. One mistake messes the whole thing up. Have had to start over 4 times on one knot but got it done. I also would like to figure out how to do interweaves using more than one color for the interweave.

Following a grid is just like keeping the colors you use in a coloring book inside the lines, or building a train track and putting the train on the track, or placing a hot wheel on a rubber/plastic track and pushing it down the track, or even better; doing a dot to dot drawing like in the old dot to dot booklets. Just wrap the grid around a postal tube, or toilet paper tube and then follow the lines from one point to the other.

Brian...

What knot head said. Put the grid around a tube it fits, and the grid map usually becomes pretty clear.

Following a grid is just like keeping the colors you use in a coloring book inside the lines, or building a train track and putting the train on the track, or placing a hot wheel on a rubber/plastic track and pushing it down the track, or even better; doing a dot to dot drawing like in the old dot to dot booklets. Just wrap the grid around a postal tube, or toilet paper tube and then follow the lines from one point to the other.

Brian...

Well. I was able to tie a couple of patterns without having to resort to that grid thing. Received instructions using simple over/under explanations and it worked fine. I'll post pics of proof later.

Again, I am stuck having to make a new post instead of editing my old one due to the restrictively short edit buffer. :(

Here is one of the knots I made without the grid thing...(and the lace is some junky quality 3/32" roo lace I got from Springfield Leather. It is very dry and doesn't lay right (to me)...guess I was spoiled by the quality of the first roo lace (drum stuffed) I bought from a guy in Australia...)

gallery_29082_1990_5909.jpg

Edited by TXAG

Thanks...I am partial to the chevron pattern also.

I made a "barber pole" pattern last night too, but it is at home. I'll probably add a pic of it later today...

Cool, Can I ask what kind of cutter splitter you got and how do you like it.

TXAG,

I have done some paracord work with globe knots and turks head knots (Wait - don't shoot yet!). I have found two books/kits that you might find useful -- the Globe Knot Cookbook and the Turk's Head Cookbook by Don Burrhus. These include cylindrical pvc templates and directions for a multitude of knots. Don essentially figured out how to make a flat diagram into a tool. You can see his kits and descriptions at knottool.com.

As a side note - I have tried some of this work in leather, but my problem always has been how to handle the ends. With paracord I can tuck them under and melt the ends so they won't come undone. I guess I need to start lurking the braiding forum and try to get some hints from you guys. Leather has just so much more class.

Cheers,

-- Mike

Thanks for the recommendation on the book/tool. I had looked at them quite a while back and opted against buying them...primarily because I don't want to have to rely on a tool to be able to make these. (I have nothing against those that do or anything like that...I just don't want to have to carry extra stuff around to tie knots...right now, I have it narrowed down to a small notebook and jumbo lacing needle, and piece of pvc and that's it...don't want to keep up with screws, pins, etc...)

Anyway, here is a barber pole interweave I did with some 3/32" lace I cut...

gallery_29082_1990_54173.jpg

Yes -- I know it should be on a smaller cylinder and/or tightened.

Edited by TXAG

So I've been trying to tie this knot lately...

...but for some reason, it is coming out slanted...the straight "stripes" shown there in the video come out at an angle on mine. Any ideas what I'm missing on this?

Make sure your base turks head is straight before doing the interweave. Line all your crossings up with one another and make sure you have the spacing about the same all the way around.

Brian...

Make sure your base turks head is straight before doing the interweave. Line all your crossings up with one another and make sure you have the spacing about the same all the way around.

Brian...

Ok, I will ensure I have everything straight when I try to make this one again...thanks for your help...

Just tried it again and that seemed to fix it...took me about ten minutes to make sure the 13L x 4B was straight. I need a better way to figure out what size mandrel I need for a given knot tied with a given size lace. I guess that'll get better with experience...

Thanks again for your help...now I need to figure out which knots I want to use on my lanyard...and what foundation (knots (which ones?), tape, etc.) to use for these...thought about using some small nylon cord to use for foundation knots, but can't seem to pick knots that come out the same width...grrrrrrr...

Happy Thanksgiving also...

Edited by TXAG

I'd love to hear ideas about foundation knots also - for sliding ones, I'd like it to come out round, like a ball - so far I used ring knots, which would then need to be built up with waxed cord, or that epoxy you showed me. I am wondering though, for ones that I'd like to stay relatively flat, how to anchor them to the braid so they can't move, even under some stress.

For the anchored ones I use a ring knot as the base and then some 2 part plumbers putty that you can mold to the shape you want. For the movable knots I just use the ring knot.

@TXAG: You're very welcome.

Brian..

Hey, Tracym...you might also check into the rein knots...there are some threads that talk about them. I'll see if I can find them in a bit...

I think a rein knot might be the 4-strand ring knots. So maybe I'm already using the ones knothead suggested. I will have to look into that plumbers putty though - I saw that technique on the video TXAG suggested, looked perfect for what I want to do.

I think I've seen something about two strand rein knots too...

Finished a keychain tonight...I'll post pics in a bit...