Top to bottom...

7L x 6B w/herringbone interweave

3-pass Spanish Ring Knot

13L x 8B Vertical Stripe TH

3-pass Spanish Ring Knot

7L x 6B w/herringbone interweave

Terminal knots w/2-pass 5L x 4B Gaucho knots

All braided over two 4-strand plaits.

I've been pretty busy learning lately...:)

gallery_29082_1990_146547.jpg

Cool, lots of fun knots. There is a 2-strand ring knot (rein knot?), I have done that one also.

I think they call them rein knots because they're used to make fixed, non-movable knots on reins. I used to ride horses (a LONG time ago...seems like forever, to me)...and I had a set of reins with the same knots through them...

Very Nice. I really like the vertical stripe. Don't see that used very much on projects.

Thanks! I'm working on another one now that will be a little shorter...I just figured out how to do the interweave over the weekend. Made myself read one of Gail Hought's books until I got it. haha

So it turns out the herringbone interweave is a bit easier to understand for me now...after the first couple, a definite pattern emerged.

I made another keychain...this time with a "long pineapple knot" w/ herringbone interweave (from Gail Hought's books). It came out nice, but -- one thing that has been bothering me is the finished weight of these. They are very, very light. I don't like that...I feel like they should have at least a bit of weight to them or something to make them feel more solid/well made. Right now, my knots are "squishy" (for lack of a better word) because I've been using tape for the groundwork. I bought some of the 2-part epoxy putty to try out...hoping that will give a little more weight to the finished item, but I haven't tried it yet. I've used the stuff before for other things...boy, that stuff smells bad!

Any other ideas on how to make them a bit heavier? My knots are tight and do not have gaps or anything, but...really no weight to them at all.

Edited by TXAG

See, once the pattern gets in your head it gets easier each time and making a different size button doesn't require new instructions because you can see what you need to do. :)

I personally don't care much for tape as a foundation. I generally use another knot typically with strings through the body of the object (they don't slide then). I have used florist tape some though and shave it to shape. I have also used the epoxy putty. Don't know what kind of tape you are using but the florist stuff adds a little bit of weight as it is fairly dense.

You could switch to rawhide instead of roo, it tends to be heavier on it's own.

I'm using gaffer's tape. I will try to use the putty tonight...

I read not to use anything under Spanish ring knots, so didn't...but even tightened, they are also "squishy"...:(

Rawhide would be good, but I wanted to get better at my knots first before I try to start doing more with rawhide...

Interesting, I wouldn't say any of my ring knots are squishy. Now, when I put knot over knot, it maybe just a little. Maybe I'm pulling them tighter? I want some sliding ones to be perfectly round though, so I'm going to try the putty.

Edited by Tracym

In Robert Blacks video he said he used a rubber grommet under a ring knot and it looked pretty good. Have not tried it yet.

Edited by fancye9876

In Robert Blacks video he said he used a rubber grommet under a ring knot and it looked pretty good. Have not tried it yet.

That's a good idea...I think I have some that will work in the right size at home...might have to try that.

Also thought about wrapping around the base with stainless steel 16ga wire to give it more heft...then putty on top of that.

Here are some more knots I've been working on to practice...

Bruce Grant Heel Knot:

gallery_29082_1990_13853.jpg

Same Heel Knot from above:

gallery_29082_1990_11894.jpg

3-pass Type 3 Pineapple Knot:

gallery_29082_1990_51120.jpg

4-pass Type 3 Pineapple Knot:

gallery_29082_1990_64789.jpg

...and I would STILL really, very much like to know what exact, specific knot this is and how to tie it, pretty please with sugar on top. I really don't think that's too much to ask...if someone asked me for this info and I had it, I would tell them. :(

gallery_29082_1990_61216.jpg

I believe I figured it out mostly, posted on the other thread about this one :) 8 bight 9 part turkshead, 4 pass, I believe. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

AAAAAAaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by TXAG

16p X 16b 2 pass Type 1 PK that was doubled, I think???

Edited by skyout

It's not just doubled though I don't believe, it's 4 different passes - i.e. 4 knots, not doubled

Tracym is correct -- it isn't just doubled. It's four different knots, offset by one each.

I saw a pic of a doubled one on here...I'll try to post it so people can see the difference.

Edited by TXAG

Now your getting what I was talking about with overthinking. Leatherpownder actually answered the question with his original post, it's a four pass pineapple. Merry Christmas All. Buck

Now your getting what I was talking about with overthinking. Leatherpownder actually answered the question with his original post, it's a four pass pineapple. Merry Christmas All. Buck

Just because I understand the concept doesn't mean I have the technique down...but I'm working on it.

Just because I understand the concept doesn't mean I have the technique down...but I'm working on it.

Boy I sure know what you mean there. I like to say something might be simple but it doesn't mean they are easy. :)