rirakuma

Hermann Oak Quality?

Hi guys, I recently purchased a 2-3 oz Hermann Oak leather and I was really excited to use them because everyone raves on about how good the quality is. I received the leather today and when I unrolled the hide I was surprised to see so many scars, wrinkles and marks which almost leave no clean areas :( (none big enough for what I intended to use it for). The hide also came in looking pink which is unusual for a new leather. I tried taking pics of the blemishes but its hard to capture on camera but its very obvious to the eye. Is this normal for Hermann Oak leathers? I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Rocky

E6bOCqn.jpg

9L2pVcm.jpg

fCWi0a4.jpg

wAefY9l.jpg

What grade did you buy?

Aside from the wrinkles (which could just be due to light weight), it looks like it could easily be the low grade stuff. anything "B" or "A" grade should NEVER look like that and whoever you bought it from should be more than willing to accept a return. If it's "C" or "Craftsman" grade, I would expect stuff like that. But, if you feel it's unusable, many vendors will exchange it for you.

It didn't say on the website. I bought this overseas because there's no stock of it here in Australia.

2-3 oz is pretty thin - the wrinkles aren't a big surprise to me - the leather tends to get wrinkled up on the end(s) during shipping because it gets slammed around so much. Depending on what you do with it, they may not be noticeable at all once the leather gets wet and smoothed out. Speaking of, what are you planning on doing with it? I'm assuming bags since that's what you mention in your profile. Perhaps you could plan your piece layout so the scuffs are used in your pocket areas?

The scuffs (dark streaks) usually go away after dying and forming - at least on my holsters. Again, not sure what you're using it for, but I've personally never had a problem with the streaks in my finished product.

The pink tint you mention - Herman Oak has a russet coloring from the tannery - it's part of what makes it look so great when it's simply oiled and left its natural color. I'm not sure if that's what you're seeing?

Now, all that being said, I've not been overly happy with the H.O. leather I've received from anyone other than H.O. directly. So, I started using Wickett & Craig (which is very pale colored in comparison and I don't really like that) and bought their best quality hides, which they split for free to any thickness. I used probably a dozen W&C hides, happy with all of them (aside from the pale coloring), and decided to order a Single Bend from Springfield Leather (because I love the russet tint). I gotta say - this Single Bend from Springfield is beautiful. It's more expensive, but I really like what they sent me.

I'm not sure what you could do then. It's worth a shot to have them refund it. All the reputable dealers I know state the grade you're getting. Expect to spend about 8 USD per/foot on B grade and up. I think the "C" and Craftsman grade stuff is averaging about $5.50 or $6 per foot right now.

Thanks Cyber, I really appreciate your help. I should have done more research before ordering and I'll contact the dealer soon.

Eric, thanks for your help. I was planning to use the hide for wallets but its a standard design with no tooling, stamping or moulding. Would you happen to know if the streaks and marks will mellow out over time if its left in its raw state?

2-3 oz is pretty thin - the wrinkles aren't a big surprise to me - the leather tends to get wrinkled up on the end(s) during shipping because it gets slammed around so much. Depending on what you do with it, they may not be noticeable at all once the leather gets wet and smoothed out. Speaking of, what are you planning on doing with it? I'm assuming bags since that's what you mention in your profile. Perhaps you could plan your piece layout so the scuffs are used in your pocket areas?

The scuffs (dark streaks) usually go away after dying and forming - at least on my holsters. Again, not sure what you're using it for, but I've personally never had a problem with the streaks in my finished product.

The pink tint you mention - Herman Oak has a russet coloring from the tannery - it's part of what makes it look so great when it's simply oiled and left its natural color. I'm not sure if that's what you're seeing?

Now, all that being said, I've not been overly happy with the H.O. leather I've received from anyone other than H.O. directly. So, I started using Wickett & Craig (which is very pale colored in comparison and I don't really like that) and bought their best quality hides, which they split for free to any thickness. I used probably a dozen W&C hides, happy with all of them (aside from the pale coloring), and decided to order a Single Bend from Springfield Leather (because I love the russet tint). I gotta say - this Single Bend from Springfield is beautiful. It's more expensive, but I really like what they sent me.

Sorry, if left natural, I doubt they will go away because the surface has essentially been burnished - probably from someone raking their fingernail or something like that across the surface while handling it. But, you could try using those areas on your interior pieces if you have internal pockets. Make the scuffed areas your pocket pieces that are covered, and for the final layer of pocket, use a clean piece of the hide.

Someone may have more input, but you might try dampening the leather, then rubbing over it with a glass slicker to help remove the wrinkles and possibly help a bit with the scuff marks.

Some of those marks may not be all that bad. They may actually come out looking pretty cool with some dye and show real character. Any of the scuffs may be able to be cleared up with a glass slicker. I would only go this route if you end up not being able to send it back for something more usable.

Thanks so much guys. The main reason why I'm reluctant to return it is because I'll probably have to pay for all the shipping cost which makes it incredibly expensive. I'm just feeling somewhat saddened by the purchase because I spent so much on it. I think I better sleep on it so I can make a better decision on what to do tomorrow. Again thank you, I greatly appreciate your help :)