son279

To Open A Leather Shop

Hello, I'm quangson, I live in Hanoi Vietnam. I'm with the idea of ​​leather goods such as belts, wallets, bags. I always cherished open a shop selling leather goods and produce at the store. I do not know much about the organization as well as models of how the store? Can you help me? I am a new member of the forum, but also looked for my english which is not good so I searched very hard.

Now I want to know what to do and what to use to make the wallet, belts and bags? The chemicals required for the production?

the skin type is suitable for what? and how to identify if there

Starting with no experience would prove difficult. You really need to start at the beginning and learn the basics and develop your skills before you can even think about opening a store.

I would suggest some of Al Stohlmans books to get an understanding of basic leatherwork.

How to carve leather

The art of hand sewing leather

Leathercraft tools

Tech tips

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/books-patterns/books-patterns.aspx

There are also several lifetimes of knowledge on this website. Spend some time and do a lot of reading.

Hope this helps

Chuck

Like RiverCity said you need to get some basics before you start worring about opening a shop. If you jump into the deep end of the lake with out knowing how to swim you will most likely drown. Start getting basic tools make a few things to give to family or sell to people you know. Get feed back to see if you are making a sellable item. Make some items and post them on this web site, you may want to put them under the critique forum and get some feed back from the knowlagble people on this web site. Then start selling at farmers markets fairs etc. Once it looks like you have products that will sell then start developing your business plan.

Thank Camano ridge, RiverCity ! you have practical suggestions for me. I'm learning as wallets and belts before, first I need to buy a sewing machine. I can buy sewing machines to suit any kind of job? because I do not have much money. and the necessary tools to be able to start producing leather purses and belts. How to distinguish the type of skin?I want to start simple before

Edited by son279

Son279 you can use as many types of leather imaginable just about for belts and wallets. A good place to start is veg tanned, but I made a bison calf wallet, and you can use oil tanned leather to make belts too. The oil tanned will be dyed already, the veg tanned probably not. You don't need a sewing machine to start, everything can be hand sewed and is much cheaper than starting out with a machine. The possibilities are endless so the advice you've been given above is very good. Make some wallets and belts for friends and family to practice. Use your own wallet to see how they are put together, your own belt to decide what you want to use for belts. I hope this helps, Cheryl

Thank DoubleC advice. Right now I'm looking for a site that sells leather goods to buy credibility. I could buy at reputable sites. Can you tell me that? I have searched a lot but it was many vendors that I do not know much, hope to receive your help

I wouldn't worry so much about getting a sewing machine just yet. They're pretty spendy and you'll be a lot better off if you learn how to sew by hand first. It's important to understand stitching and then you can build your way up to a machine later.

Tandy has a digital library where you can buy PDF copies of books. Since you're going to have trouble with shipping, that would be a good suggestion on where to start learning, aside from reading everything you can here.