entiendo

Knobs

Has anyone ever covered a knob...?? know of any tutorials on it?

What type of knob?

Mike

Have you tried a six or eight bight Turks head.

Mike

Yes

gives me an opening at the top, I don't like it....Or I have to spit up the turks head when I turn it the other way.

I'll try some tomorrow and if a get it I'll let ya know

Mike

Thanks mike. I may have figured something out I will let you know tomorrow too.

Entiendo, Mike or someone else may come up with better ideas, but here are my thoughts. your knob looks very much like the heel knot of a bosal. you might glue a piece of leather on the knob before working your turkshead & let that show thru in the center of your opening like many people do with heel knots (looks nice). With an over 3 under 3 PK you may be able to get the coverage to close in the opening. I have had good luck getting a Colima Lazy Man's button to close in on the ends of quirt handles, but it does leave a small opening in the center. The advantage here is that with the CLM you follow your standing end up on the right, when you reach the top you cross underneath it at the bight & continue to follow it down on left side. At the bottom you cross under again to the right. Point is you double the strands all the way including the bight instead of crossing one pass short of the bight like you do with a PK, so it gives you more bulk at the center where you need it to close that opening. This just gave me another idea that I'll have to look up in Grant's book. I'll get back to you with more later. Buck

Ha ha!!!! bucksnort what a hoot that's it exactly what I did. i taped some leather to the top and after I got the turks head going I took the leather out so the knob is flat again. I can picture a very nice silver cap over the tiny hole left at the top???? I did not go the lazy man's route though...I think it's a 10 bight turks head...I'll be doing a herringbone interweave. LOL well maybe I will do a easier interweave next time. I'm a sucker for a beautifully detailed knot though and I would like to have some for my kitchen knobs...Would look wicked nice!

Entiendo, Sounds super. Could you post some pics when you get it done. Buck

D'oh. Think I can convince anyone that I meant to leave that part uncovered???? Better think of something before I add my second interweave and tie it down.

post-6663-0-79179500-1374985132_thumb.jp

Edited by entiendo

I get it now. Your trying to figure a way to cover the neck of it . I think it will look great the way you have it, but will be interested in what you come up with. Luck, buck

Entiendo. I have no idea which end you're trying to close up. But either way you go you'll need a nested bight knot. This allows for 4,6,8 bight knots to close up. Much like a globe knot does.

I have included a grid image example below to show you what I mean by nested bights.

post-1307-0-56729300-1375032583_thumb.jp

The above grid is just an example knot. This is not one to be tied.

Brian...

Well I took it apart and put it back together twice last night and finally decided on a piece of leather. Not creative at all, and what is worse I overlapped it a bit cause I couldn't get two beveled pieces to go together right. I think with a couple of Spanish rings it will look OK though. It's not part of the handle that will show much, and between a bit of two part glue and a couple of spanish rings it should hold forever. I have to let the glue dry 24 hours before I can mess with it though.

I see Brian, quit clever, so the bights are not interwoven the same way. I can't follow a grid to save my life though.

I wanted the top of the knob not to have a hole in it, but after thinking on it I thought it might look nice with some sort of cap on it too.

Edited by entiendo

We have rcsaddles to thank for all this. Whats next, door knobs, faucet handles, tooth brushes? Just kidding,I love to see braided work used in new & unique ways. I added a pic of a pull I made to replace the rope on our attic access ladder which is in one of our bathrooms. I'll bet there is a good market for braided cabinet knobs & handles. Hang in there entiendo, we're all pulling for you (pun intended) Buck

post-43386-0-78776500-1375037139_thumb.j

SWEEET bucksnort

Well the idea came to me cause I have to repaint my cabinets and I want knobs so they don't get so darn dirty, but I could not find one knob I liked...But then I thought ...oooh, braid it. I had a chance to try out my idea when I found probably 50 knobs or more at a garage sale for 10 bucks. Put off my commissioned pieces to try it out...bad me! I have to wait 24 hours before I can play with it anymore though so I will try and get a couple of pieces done for customers in the mean time...

Not done yet. The second interweave on a 10 bight is very tricky. Will have to use contrasting colors to follow the correct string for a long time!post-6663-0-80461100-1375119050_thumb.jp

Edited by entiendo

I'm sorry, where did I come into this? I have covered some knobs before and did a handle on a drawer but not sure I posted them. I guess I will go ahead and take the blame, I can handle it. I will say that if you use round knobs instead of those flat ones they are easier to cover.

Bucksnort, for that comment blaming me, I expect you to make something for the World Leather Debut at the show in Sheridan, WY. next year. I love the pull on the attic access. What a great idea.

Covering the drawer knobs is a great way to use up some of those shorter pieces of lace and in the right place, can be a real money maker. I just don't happen to be in that place.

I will follow this post to see how you come out on this Entiendo.

I just love having fun with these posts.

Very nicely done!!! I think a concho glued or screwed in the center would look dang nice!!!

Great job, Mike

THAT is what I was thinking rawhide...I mentioned it in an earlier post when I resigned myself to not being able to completely close the top. I have some tiny conchos that just might work.

I got these at a garage sale..like I also mentioned in a earlier post I have 1 round one in the bunch that will be simple to cover, but the rest are like these. Anyway being round might be easier but this shape shows more of the weaves.

Very nice job. Do you really need to close the hole in the center? If it is just wood showing, it may just add character. Only throwing out my thoughts.

Hope I didn't come across the wrong way in my earlier post. I was laughing about being blamed for this while I was typing it.

Entiendo, looks great. I agree with Joe that there is no real need to close the hole. How many of these did you say you were doing? Joe, I knew you were joking. I was referring to the drawer pull you posted (very nice). Buck

That's really cool looking Entiendo.

Over at KHWW Pat Ducey has some tutorials that close up the poles of a TH. He has posted these: Turks head - closed end grids 7x8 / 5x8 / 3x8, 3L x 6B Closed End TH and also a Turks head pear shaped 12x4 & 12x7.

http://khww.net/viewpage.php?page_id=21

Hope it helps.

Joe, I went online & looked at some of the stuff at the World Leather Debut. The main problem I would have with an entry is that those people are GOOD. Maybe a couple of years. Hopelessly lost but makin' good time. Buck